Advanced Astronomy/Cosmology Forum - Get Answers to Your Questions

In summary, astronomy is the study of objects and phenomena outside of Earth's atmosphere, while cosmology is the study of the universe as a whole. Scientists use tools such as telescopes and spectroscopy to study objects that are light-years away. The Big Bang Theory is the prevailing explanation for the origin and evolution of the universe, supported by evidence such as cosmic microwave background radiation and the redshift of galaxies. The search for extraterrestrial life is ongoing, with potential candidates being exoplanets that share similar characteristics with Earth. Black holes form when massive stars collapse, creating a singularity surrounded by an event horizon.
smallphi
are there more advanced forums than this for astronomy/cosmology?

I asked a few questions without reply on here so I guess I need higher level forum.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
smallphi said:
are there more advanced forums than this for astronomy/cosmology?

I asked a few questions without reply on here so I guess I need higher level forum.

You should try your questions on CosmoCoffee,

http://cosmocoffee.info/index.php.

Cruel, but efficient, George.

Thanks for the CosmoCoffee link.

They have very interesting discussions of up to date articles in the astro-ph sections.

Related to Advanced Astronomy/Cosmology Forum - Get Answers to Your Questions

1. What is the difference between astronomy and cosmology?

Astronomy is the scientific study of objects and phenomena outside of Earth's atmosphere, such as stars, planets, galaxies, and other celestial bodies. Cosmology, on the other hand, is the study of the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe as a whole. While astronomy focuses on individual objects, cosmology looks at the broader picture of the universe and its overall structure and history.

2. How do scientists study objects and events that are light-years away?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to study objects and events that are light-years away. These include powerful telescopes, such as the Hubble Space Telescope, which can capture images and data from distant objects. They also use spectroscopy, which involves analyzing the light emitted or absorbed by an object to learn about its composition and other properties. Additionally, scientists use computer simulations and mathematical models to make predictions and test hypotheses about the distant universe.

3. What is the Big Bang Theory and how is it supported by evidence?

The Big Bang Theory is the prevailing scientific explanation for the origin and evolution of the universe. It states that the universe began as a singularity, a point of infinite density and temperature, and has been expanding and cooling ever since. This theory is supported by evidence such as the cosmic microwave background radiation, the abundance of light elements in the universe, and the observed redshift of galaxies. These pieces of evidence confirm the predictions of the Big Bang Theory and provide strong support for its validity.

4. Is there life on other planets?

The search for extraterrestrial life is an ongoing area of research in astronomy and cosmology. While there is currently no definitive proof of life on other planets, scientists have discovered many exoplanets (planets outside of our solar system) that have the potential to support life. These exoplanets have similar characteristics to Earth, such as being in the habitable zone of their star and having liquid water on their surface. However, more research is needed before we can definitively answer this question.

5. How do black holes form?

Black holes form when a massive star runs out of fuel and collapses under its own gravity. This collapse creates a singularity, a point of infinite density and gravity, surrounded by an event horizon, which is the point of no return for anything entering the black hole. This process is supported by the laws of physics and has been observed through the detection of gravitational waves. Scientists are still studying and learning more about black holes and their properties.