1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some Differential equation problems

1. Mar 14, 2006 #1
    Hey all, I'm reviewing for an exam and I'm in need of a bump on the following issues:

1.) Find the fundamental set of solutions for the given differential equation and initial point.

y'' + y' - 2y = 0 tsub0 = 0

2.)A spring is stretched 10cm by a force of 3 N. A Mass of 2kg is hung from the spring and attached to a damper which exerts 3 N when the velocity = 5m/sec. There's more but I just need a little help setting it up. I don't understand how to find y (as in yu'(t)). Unless its just 3/5.

Just a few hints would suffice, I'm not asking you to solve these.

Thanks, Sean

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2006 #2
    for a) you have to assume that the solution looks like [tex] y(t) = Ce^{\lambda t} [/tex] where lambda is to be determined. Substitute this into your expression and you can find your lambda. Also use your initial condiotion to find C.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?