Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Some Kinematics questions with cars and satallites

1. Mar 18, 2008 #1
    Having difficulty with the followingCalculating this collision, as the standard equation does not apply, i don't think.

Question 1:

A 2000kg car travelling at 24 m/s EAST (x), collides with a 3600kg truck travelling at 10m/s SOUTH(y). What is there velocity immediately after impact.

Question 2:

An Earth Satellite travels in a circular orbit of radius 4 times the Earths radius. Calculate its acceleration in m/s^2

Question 3:

A satellite circles the Earth at an average altitude of 760km, with a period of 100 min. Calculate the mass of the Earth, if G = 6.67x10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2, and the radius of the Earth is 6.38x10^6m.

Can you advise me the correct equation to use and directions, i'm lost. Please and thank you.

Josh

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Josh! Welcome to PF! :smile:

By "standard equation", I take it you mean conservation of momentum in one dimension?

It's ok - you just have two equations instead of one - conservation of momentum North, and conservation of momentum East! :smile:

(btw, I suppose you're expected to use conservation of energy as well - but in practice, it wouldn't be conserved, because the vehicles would be deformed in the collision. :frown:)

As to Questions 2 and 3: do you know a formula for the aceleration of something in a circle?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook