1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some Kinematics questions with cars and satallites

1. Mar 18, 2008 #1
    Having difficulty with the followingCalculating this collision, as the standard equation does not apply, i don't think.

Question 1:

A 2000kg car travelling at 24 m/s EAST (x), collides with a 3600kg truck travelling at 10m/s SOUTH(y). What is there velocity immediately after impact.

Question 2:

An Earth Satellite travels in a circular orbit of radius 4 times the Earths radius. Calculate its acceleration in m/s^2

Question 3:

A satellite circles the Earth at an average altitude of 760km, with a period of 100 min. Calculate the mass of the Earth, if G = 6.67x10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2, and the radius of the Earth is 6.38x10^6m.

Can you advise me the correct equation to use and directions, i'm lost. Please and thank you.

Josh

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Josh! Welcome to PF! :smile:

By "standard equation", I take it you mean conservation of momentum in one dimension?

It's ok - you just have two equations instead of one - conservation of momentum North, and conservation of momentum East! :smile:

(btw, I suppose you're expected to use conservation of energy as well - but in practice, it wouldn't be conserved, because the vehicles would be deformed in the collision. :frown:)

As to Questions 2 and 3: do you know a formula for the aceleration of something in a circle?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?