1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some question on undergrad research

1. Mar 3, 2009 #1
    hello gentlmen. i am a physics/astro sophmore and i recently got hooked up in a sweet job for the summer, which is working at the observatory analyzing variable stars. it seems really cool because it seems something i can definitely do without becoming just some worthless grunt work person. i am not sure if i want to do astro for grad school though, i am a double major. i might for example, go for grad school to medical physics. i was wondering if i ever apply for med physics is my experience researching with a professor going to be helpful evene if it isnt completely related to what i might do in grad school?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2009 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

4. Mar 3, 2009 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

- imaging physics
    - signal processing and analysis
    - coding experience
    - demonstrated interest in research and lab experience
    - letter of recommendation from a professor intimately familiar with your work

I think there's a lot there that could apply to medical physics. In general, I don't think anyone expecs that as an undergrad you will know exactly what you want to do with your life. Take advantage of the opportunities that come your way.

5. Mar 3, 2009 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

In general, undergraduate research experience is much more about learning how to do research in general, than it is about gaining knowledge of a specific field, especially if you are at the sophomore level.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook