Some questions about perturbative expansion of S matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses difficulties in understanding the perturbative expansion of the S matrix using the conventional treatment, which involves transforming the Lagrangian to Hamiltonian and using the interaction picture. This method can handle interactions without time derivatives, but breaks Lorentz invariance at each order. An alternative method, using the LSZ formula and path integration, guarantees Lorentz invariance and is considered more direct and elegant. However, the connections between the two methods are not clear and further reading is recommended.
PhyMathNovice
Hi,

Recently I was confronted with some difficulties in understanding the perturbative expansion of S matrix .

The conventional treatment is expansing it in the interaction picture,which have to first transform Lagrangian to Hamiltonian and then replace the original field operator by new operator under the interaction picture. If the interactive part of Lagrangian lacks derivative, especially the time derivative, things sitll can be well handled by few steps of calculation and just simplily "treat" the interactive Lagrangian as interactive Hamiltonian( they share a same form).

But if the interactive part of Lagrangian contains time derivative,the interactive Hamiltonian would be much more different with the form of interactive Lagrangian.Also the expansion at each order break the Lorentz invariance.

I know there is another way of calculating S matrix by applying LSZ formula and path integration. Such kind of expansion guarantees the Lorentz invariance at each order and seems to be more direct and beautiful.

I really can't work out the connections between both of the two different expansions.Could anyone tell me some things about it.

Physics news on Phys.org
PhyMathNovice said:
if the interactive part of Lagrangian contains time derivative,the interactive Hamiltonian would be much more different with the form of interactive Lagrangian.Also the expansion at each order break the Lorentz invariance.

I know there is another way of calculating S matrix by applying LSZ formula and path integration. Such kind of expansion guarantees the Lorentz invariance at each order and seems to be more direct and beautiful.

I really can't work out the connections between both of the two different expansions.Could anyone tell me some things about it.

There is no _short_ explanation. But you can read it with great clarity in Vol. 1 of Weinberg's treatise on QFT.

1. What is perturbative expansion of S matrix?

The perturbative expansion of S matrix is a method used in quantum field theory to calculate the probability of a particle interaction occurring. It involves expanding the S matrix, which describes the transition between initial and final states, as a series of terms that correspond to successive interactions between particles.

2. Why is perturbative expansion of S matrix important?

The perturbative expansion of S matrix is important because it allows us to calculate the probability of particle interactions, which is crucial for understanding and predicting the behavior of subatomic particles. It also helps us to make predictions about the outcomes of experiments in particle physics.

3. How does perturbative expansion of S matrix work?

Perturbative expansion of S matrix works by breaking down the complex interactions between particles into simpler, successive interactions. Each term in the expansion represents a specific number of interactions between particles, allowing us to calculate the probability of each interaction occurring and then summing them up to get the overall probability.

4. What are some limitations of perturbative expansion of S matrix?

One limitation of perturbative expansion of S matrix is that it is only accurate for weakly interacting particles. For strongly interacting particles, higher order terms in the expansion become significant and can lead to large errors. Additionally, the expansion assumes that the interactions between particles occur in a vacuum, which may not always be the case.

5. Is perturbative expansion of S matrix the only method used for calculating particle interactions?

No, perturbative expansion of S matrix is not the only method used for calculating particle interactions. Other methods, such as lattice QCD and effective field theory, may be more suitable for certain situations. However, perturbative expansion is still a widely used and important method in quantum field theory.