Some questions for non/homogeneous equations

• Thread starter brandy
  • Start date
In summary, when solving for y in an equation that has differentials of y, you use the X2 icon above the Reply box to differentiate the equation. When there is only 1 value for m in an equation, you have Ae^mt+Ate^mt.
brandy
what do you do when m=0, do you just have 1 term + a constant?

what do you do when there is only 1 value for m. do you have Ae^mt + Ate^mt or what?

im a little confused.

EDIT
-for differential equations i mean, when youre trying to solve for y and the equation has differentials of y in varying degrees.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi brandy! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

what's m ? :confused:

can you write out the equation you're referring to?

im just trying to teach myself how to do these equations. they are called either homogeneous differential equations or nonhomogeneous differential equations (which have a homogeneous solution and a particular solution which is combined)
questions like these:
y'' + 2y'+ 3y=0
3y'' +y'= 5 cos (t/4)
for the homogeneous stuff I'm assuming y=e^(mt) t is the variable. and going from there.
sorry i didnt define m :S

btw do i have to use latex for powers like that? does it bother people? i was going to use latex for more complicated things but if it bothers people...

you mean m is the root of the characteristic polynomial, and you're asking what if m = 0, or if m is a multiple root?

if m = 0, the solution is a constant (isn't that obvious? :wink:)

if m is a root, n times, then the solution is emt times a polynomial of degree n-1 in t (works for n = 1 also! :biggrin:)
brandy said:
btw do i have to use latex for powers like that? does it bother people? i was going to use latex for more complicated things but if it bothers people...

just use the SUP tags :smile:

i don't quite understand.
y'' + 2y'+ 1y=0 solving for y
let y=emt
therefore
m2+2m+3=0 (differentiating y and multiplying out emt
which is
(m+1)2=0
m=-1
so i thought you write it as this, but I am not sure. this is part of my question.
y=Ae-t+Bte-t

for
y'' + 3y'+ 2y=0 solving for y
(m+1)(m+2)=0
m=-1 and m=-2
i think you write it as this
y=Ae-t + Be-2t

and yea i had a constant for m=0 but the answer in the textbook didnt include that term.

for
y'' + 2y'+ 1y=0 solving for y
and let y=emt
therefore
m2+2m+3=0 (differentiating y and multiplying out e^mt
which is
(m+1)2=0
m=-1
NOTE: We didnt take e^mt because there is no value of m such can bring an answer equal to zero
y=Ae-t+Bte-t

for
y'' + 3y'+ 2y=0 solving for y
(m+1)(m+2)=0
m=-1 and m=-2
i think you write it as this
y=Ae-t + Be-2t

so for your last statement that you have a value for constant for m=0, this also doesn't exist..

hi brandy! :wink:
brandy said:
y'' + 2y'+ 1y=0

y=Ae-t+Bte-t

y'' + 3y'+ 2y=0

y=Ae-t + Be-2t

yes, that's all correct :smile:

isn't that what i said?​
and yea i had a constant for m=0 but the answer in the textbook didnt include that term.

sorry, I'm not following you …

what differential equation are you referring to here? :confused:

If, for example, you had the equation
[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}+ 2\frac{dy}{dx} + y= e^{-t}[/tex]

Then the associated homogeous differential equation is
[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}+ 2\frac{dy}{dx} + y= 0[/tex]
which, as you say, has characteristic equation [itex]m^2+ 2+ 1= (m+1)^2= 0[/itex] which has m= -1 as a double root. Yes, the general solution to that associated homogenous equation is [itex]Ce^{-x}+ Dxe^{-x}[/itex].

Now, to use "undetermined coefficients" to seek a solution to the entire equation, normally, we would try a solution of the form [itex]Ae^{-t}[/itex] but that already satisfies the homogeneous equation. In fact, [itex]Ate^{-t}[/itex] so we would try [itex]At^2e^{-t}[/itex].

Try it yourself: if [itex]y= At^2e^{-t}[/itex], what are y' and y''? What do you get when you put those into the equation? What must A be in order that the equation be satisfied?

1. What is the difference between homogeneous and nonhomogeneous equations?

Homogeneous equations are those in which all terms have the same degree, meaning they are all raised to the same power. Nonhomogeneous equations, on the other hand, have terms with different degrees.

2. How do you solve a homogeneous equation?

To solve a homogeneous equation, you can use the method of separation of variables or substitution. You can also use the characteristic equation method for second-order homogeneous equations.

3. Can you give an example of a homogeneous equation?

One example of a homogeneous equation is xy'' + (x + 2)y' - 3y = 0. All the terms are raised to the same power, making it a homogeneous equation.

4. What is the particular solution of a nonhomogeneous equation?

The particular solution of a nonhomogeneous equation is the specific solution that satisfies the equation and any given initial conditions. It is added to the general solution of the homogeneous equation to get the complete solution.

5. How do you solve a nonhomogeneous equation?

To solve a nonhomogeneous equation, you can use the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters. These methods involve finding the particular solution and combining it with the general solution of the homogeneous equation.