Calculating Limits and Integrals: Tips and Tricks for Solving Tough Problems

• Thread starter TheMadHathor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard
In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling with a difficult calculus assignment given by their teacher. The student is stuck on the first problem which involves finding the limit of a function and a definite integral. They try to solve it on their own but encounter difficulties. Another user offers to help and provides a solution using the definition of the sine integral function and the derivative of a function at a point. However, there is some uncertainty about the correctness of the solution and another user suggests using l'Hopital's theorem instead. The conversation ends with the student acknowledging the usefulness of l'Hopital's theorem and thanking the other users for their help.
TheMadHathor
"Some really hard problems" That is exactly what our teacher wrote on the top of this worksheet we got for homework. I'm in Calc AB and our teacher gave us 12 really evil problems. I'm stuck just on the first problem:

Evaluate lim (x/x-3)(Intergral of sint/t dt from 3->x)
x->3

Sorry if the notation is kind of weird, I don't know how to get half these symbols on the computer.

Anyway, I first tried to find the limit of just x/x-3 and it's undefined. Then I tried finding the intergral of sint/t dt but it just kept going around in a circle from (ln t)(sin t)-the intergral of ln t (-cos t)-(1/t)(-cos t)-the intergral of 1/t sin t...and so forth. I believe i saw somewhere that if an intergral keeps repeating it's undefined, but my teacher hinted that there's a definate solution to it.

Can someone help me? This assignment is due Thursday, and I haven't a clue as how to go about solving these. I'll need help on some of the other problems too, which I'll post later. Someone please respond soon! I don't want to fail! :cry: :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
TheMadHathor said:
Can someone help me? This assignment is due Thursday, and I haven't a clue as how to go about solving these. I'll need help on some of the other problems too, which I'll post later. Someone please respond soon! I don't want to fail! :cry: :biggrin:

I'm trying to help u:Hopefully i' right.I'm not a mathematician. :tongue2:
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 3}\frac{x}{x-3}\int_{3}^{x} \frac{\sin t}{t} dt[/tex]=...??( 1)

Define this function (called "sine integral")
[tex] Si(x)=:\int_{0}^{x} \frac{\sin t}{t} dt [/tex]
Using the additivity property of the definite integral,it's not hard to show that the integral in (1) is
[tex] Si(x)-Si(3)[/tex]

Your limit becomes
[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow 3} x\frac{Si(x)-Si(3)}{x-3} [/tex]
Now use the definition for the derivative of a function in one point to get the limit
[tex] 3 \frac{d Si(x)}{dx}|_{x=3} [/tex].

Use the fact that:
[tex] \lim_{t\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin t}{t} =1 [/tex] and the fact that:
[tex] \frac{d}{dx}[\int_{a}^{x} f(t) dt]=f(x) [/tex]

To get the answer:
[tex] 3\frac{\sin 3}{3}=\sin 3[/tex]

However,i'm not sure on this result.Mathematicians on this forum can correct my mistakes and if,by chance,everything i did is correct,supply you with rigurous mathematical founding to my calculations.

Daniel.

... or, you could just apply l'Hopital directly to your expression - integral and all! :-)

Tide said:
... or, you could just apply l'Hopital directly to your expression - integral and all! :-)

I don't know,Tide,my approach seems elegant. :approve: No L'Hospital,no tricky differentiations,just definitions and a simple limit. :wink:

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
I don't know,Tide,my approach seems elegant. :approve: No L'Hospital,no tricky differentiations,just definitions and a simple limit. :wink:

Daniel.

A thousand pardons! I failed to recognize a masterpiece when I saw it! :blushing:

Anyways, the lesson to be learned is that, no matter how complicated it looks,

[tex]
\int_a^x f(t) \, dt
[/tex]

is merely a function of x.

Thanks! L'Hopital's theorem makes it so much easier, duh! It was the next section in our book! :biggrin:

TheMadHathor said:
Thanks! L'Hopital's theorem makes it so much easier, duh! It was the next section in our book! :biggrin:

So much for the elegance in mathematics... :yuck: Anyway,u're free to post your problems.

Daniel.

1. What are some examples of "some really hard problems" in the scientific field?

Some examples of "some really hard problems" in the scientific field include finding a cure for cancer, understanding the mechanisms of the human brain, and developing sustainable energy sources.

2. Why are these problems considered difficult to solve?

These problems are considered difficult to solve because they require a high level of complexity and involve multiple disciplines and variables. They often involve unknown factors and require extensive research and experimentation.

3. How do scientists approach solving these hard problems?

Scientists approach solving these hard problems by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts and conducting thorough research and experimentation. They also collaborate with other experts in the field and use advanced technology and techniques.

4. What are some potential ethical considerations when working on these hard problems?

Some potential ethical considerations when working on these hard problems include ensuring the safety and well-being of human subjects in research, considering the impact on the environment and society, and maintaining transparency and integrity in the scientific process.

5. How can the general public support and contribute to finding solutions to these hard problems?

The general public can support and contribute to finding solutions to these hard problems by staying informed and advocating for funding and resources for scientific research. They can also participate in studies or trials, donate to research institutions, and make lifestyle choices that promote sustainability and health.