1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra, can A be one-to-one given a case

1. Mar 17, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given an nxn matrix, if a b exists so Ax=b has no solutions, can A be one-to-one?

2. Relevant equations
    I understand that as a linear transformation, you need things such as (to be one-to-one as a linear trans)
    1. n pivots
    2. Only the trivial solution exists to Ax=0

Ax=b having no solutions is a bit of an oddball for me.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    If I set up an augmented matrix such as [I | b] (Identity matrix | some vector b)
    By removing one pivot from the Ident. matrix I can see that I've created an Ax=b where b has no solution. This is akin to a linearly independent set (which contains the zero vector). in Rn space.
    It technically doesn't span Rn space nor Rm space fully... I think? As it will have a row of zeroes and a column of zeroes.
    But does this truly affect its ability to be one-to-one?
    I don't see how it does........

For instance, let's say you have a 3x3 ID matrix A, but one pivot is missing.
    If that's put into an augmented matrix[A|b], if a row with zeroes has a number to the right of it, it means there's no solution for this b. So doesn't this mean the situation is just n/a?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2016 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hint: If Ax = b has no solution then the transformation is not onto. So the question could be rephrased as "Can a linear transformation that is 1-1 be not onto? Does that help? Think about ##R^2## and ##R^3##.

[Edit]: Never mind, I missed the nxn.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  4. Mar 17, 2016 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is a very basic theorem in linear algebra: if A is nxn (which you say yours is), then either (1) the equation Ax = b has a unique solution for any n-vector b on the right; or (2) Ax = b has either no solution (for some b) or infinitely many solutions (for some other b).

Case (1) is the same as saying: Ax = 0 if and only if x = 0.

5. Mar 17, 2016 #4
    Thanks everyone. I think that helped.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted