Some #$%@*$ stole my &$*%# clothes

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary: No, just the pants. :sad:In summary, someone stole some of my clothes from the laundrymat. I'm sorry that happened and hope the person is caught.
Danger said:
I'm just still savouring the vision of you hiking across the mall naked to get a sandwich. :tongue2:
I can picture the hike, but I don't recall her mentioning a sandwich...:tongue2: :biggrin:

Don't let it bug you, MIH. You can't help what other people do.

Physics news on Phys.org
Artman said:
Don't let it bug you, MIH. You can't help what other people do.
Thanks, Artman. I'll try.

Follow up: I saw the laundromat owner last night and I know who the thief was now. He saw the video. She was on my list of suspects, but one of the unlikely ones. She was a woman with short hair, early 50's, wearing a Hawaiian shirt. I remember she was kinda grumpy because I had to walk past her a few times getting back and forth to my laundry and she seemed annoyed. She had about 5 or 6 dryers going at once. She was blocking the whole aisle since she had carts in front of all the dryers and was hanging things here and there, so I had to say excuse me and she had to move a little every time I went past her.

The owner said it appeared she had put some things into the dryer before I put mine in (it looked empty to me, and it was open so I just may not have noticed). I asked the owner if she just grabbed the clothes out and threw them in a basket, but he said, no, she folded every single item. The sad thing is that she was walking out just as I came back. If I had only been a few minutes earlier!:frown:

Does she go there regularly? If so, you or the owner could let her know that she's on tape stealing your clothes.

Math Is Hard said:
I saw the laundromat owner last night and I know who the thief was now. He saw the video.
Great news!
The owner said it appeared she had put some things into the dryer before I put mine in (it looked empty to me, and it was open so I just may not have noticed). I asked the owner if she just grabbed the clothes out and threw them in a basket, but he said, no, she folded every single item.
Maybe she was doing someone else's laundry as a part of their maid service. I've paid for services like that before.

Evo said:
Does she go there regularly? If so, you or the owner could let her know that she's on tape stealing your clothes.
Neither the owner nor myself had ever seen her before. He seems to think that she won't be back. I'm not completely sure if I would recognize her if I saw her again. The video did not get a very good shot of her face either.

Maybe she was doing someone else's laundry as a part of their maid service. I've paid for services like that before.
I considered that. But it seems that the people she took the clothes back to would have said something...maybe. Or she could have been laundering donated clothes for a charity. In which case, she would not have known specifically which things belonged to her wash.

MIH said:
If the guy has nice knees
What exactly constitutes "nice knees?"

Math Is Hard said:
The owner said it appeared she had put some things into the dryer before I put mine in (it looked empty to me, and it was open so I just may not have noticed).
This is kinda important, isn't it? If she already had things in that dryer? Changes everything around.

zoobyshoe said:
This is kinda important, isn't it? If she already had things in that dryer? Changes everything around.
So that would justify her taking all my stuff? If she wanted to be pissy she could have thrown my clothes on the floor. But like I said, when I went to that dryer, the door was open and I saw nothing in it. I only found out about any clothes being in there when the owner said he saw it on the tape - and I am still really surprised by that.

Math Is Hard said:
So that would justify her taking all my stuff? If she wanted to be pissy she could have thrown my clothes on the floor. But like I said, when I went to that dryer, the door was open and I saw nothing in it. I only found out about any clothes being in there when the owner said he saw it on the tape - and I am still really surprised by that.
You would think if she had stuff in the dryer already that she'd have spoken up when you put your stuff in and turned it on. It's possible it was a genuine mistake, that she had so many dryers running, and so many clothes, she didn't notice one in the middle of them wasn't hers. Some things, like jeans, you might not realize aren't yours until you got home. Though, you'd think she'd have returned them upon realizing the mistake, unless she's too embarrassed.

If I were you, I'd prefer thinking it was your other explanation, that maybe she was washing stuff to donate to charity. At least then you can think your clothes went to a good cause, even if you hadn't intended to donate them.

But, it's so hard to find pants that fit, that's got to be the biggest tragedy. I was just shopping in three different states, and still only found 2 pairs of pants that fit! I commented to the sales clerk in one store, and she said I was definitely not the only one. She said everyone complains about the same thing, and a lot of clothes get returned when people don't try them on (I can't even imagine buying clothes without trying them on first). I don't know how they make any money or sell them to anyone when they don't seem to fit anyone. I'm calling it the plumber's cut...that big pouch of material on the back of the waistband that leaves your butt crack showing in a most unflattering way. :yuck:

Moonbear said:
You would think if she had stuff in the dryer already that she'd have spoken up when you put your stuff in and turned it on. It's possible it was a genuine mistake, that she had so many dryers running, and so many clothes, she didn't notice one in the middle of them wasn't hers. Some things, like jeans, you might not realize aren't yours until you got home. Though, you'd think she'd have returned them upon realizing the mistake, unless she's too embarrassed.
Yeah, the interesting thing was that I waited with the dryer for about 10 minutes after I put in my clothes. She was there for a while. But then the laundromat cleared out, and that woman even left. Finally, I said, ok, I'm starving. I'm going to pop over to the sandwich shop.
If I were you, I'd prefer thinking it was your other explanation, that maybe she was washing stuff to donate to charity. At least then you can think your clothes went to a good cause, even if you hadn't intended to donate them.
I agree with you. I am going to try to rationalize it that way. Otherwise I am just going to get more and more bitter about it. Thanks for listening to me and for your advice. I've replaced the bulk of the loss, and now I am $250 poorer, but I do have brand new things!
But, it's so hard to find pants that fit, that's got to be the biggest tragedy. I was just shopping in three different states, and still only found 2 pairs of pants that fit! I commented to the sales clerk in one store, and she said I was definitely not the only one. She said everyone complains about the same thing, and a lot of clothes get returned when people don't try them on (I can't even imagine buying clothes without trying them on first). I don't know how they make any money or sell them to anyone when they don't seem to fit anyone. I'm calling it the plumber's cut...that big pouch of material on the back of the waistband that leaves your butt crack showing in a most unflattering way. :yuck:
Have you looked at any of the GAP jeans? I am pretty fond of them. But you have to try each pair because they all seem to have tiny variations in cut. I noticed this on my own, but the sales folk confirmed it.
When I was in high school, it was all the rage to buy Levi's boy's jeans, and then nip them in at the waist with two triangular cuts in the back. Oh, gosh were they hard to sew, but it was worth it. They fit like a dream!:smile:

Last edited:
Math Is Hard said:
If it's true she had stuff in that dryer it changes everything around in that from her standpoint you were doing something invasive, random and ill-mannered to just throw your clothes in on top of the dryer she'd staked out, start it up, and leave. You forced her into a position where to retrieve her things she'd have to pick through someone elses clothes without being able to get their permission. What if you came back, she may have wondered, while she was doing that? She was damned if she did and damned if she didn't. Being grumpy on top of it, it's no wonder she decided to just take your clothes. So, stipulating that she did have stuff in that dryer I find her to be much less of a criminal than it seemed at first telling.

zoobyshoe said:
If it's true she had stuff in that dryer it changes everything around in that from her standpoint you were doing something invasive, random and ill-mannered to just throw your clothes in on top of the dryer she'd staked out, start it up, and leave. You forced her into a position where to retrieve her things she'd have to pick through someone elses clothes without being able to get their permission. What if you came back, she may have wondered, while she was doing that? She was damned if she did and damned if she didn't. Being grumpy on top of it, it's no wonder she decided to just take your clothes. So, stipulating that she did have stuff in that dryer I find her to be much less of a criminal than it seemed at first telling.
I disagree. If she took my clothes by accident, it was not a theft. If she took my clothes on purpose, then it is a theft. It doesn't make her any 'less of a criminal' if she took advantage of a situation.

MIH, your next birthday i will buy you a swanky new skirt, if Greg will pass it on, will that be ok?

zoobyshoe said:
I agree with MIH on this. If she was pissed off and just dumped MIH's laundry on the floor because she didn't want to be sorting it from her clothes, that would still be wrong, but understandable. If she had just grabbed the pile of clothes from the dryer and shoved it into a basket or bag and left without noticing someone else's stuff was mixed with hers, that would be an understandable mistake too. But, since she actually folded everything in the dryer before leaving the laundromat, if she realized there were clothes that were not hers, then that made it deliberate theft. Afterall, she had already gone to the trouble of sorting it.

The only distinction I would make would be if she really noticed the clothes were not hers or not. We don't know if she realized it. It could have been an honest mistake. With that much laundry, she probably loses track of whose stuff is whose in her household (it seems that much laundry could only be generated by multiple children, and if a few are teens who buy some of their own clothes, she may have no clue anymore who owns what in her house).

wolram said:
MIH, your next birthday i will buy you a swanky new skirt, if Greg will pass it on, will that be ok?
Aw, Wol. You have such a kind heart. You are making my eyes tear up.

Moonbear said:
The only distinction I would make would be if she really noticed the clothes were not hers or not. We don't know if she realized it. It could have been an honest mistake. With that much laundry, she probably loses track of whose stuff is whose in her household (it seems that much laundry could only be generated by multiple children, and if a few are teens who buy some of their own clothes, she may have no clue anymore who owns what in her house).
I had not considered that. When my Mom had 3 teenagers in the house she had insane amounts of laundry to deal with (the bulk of it belonging to my sister who changes clothes about 3 or 4 times a day!) She has even mailed me clothes that she thought I had left behind when I was visiting, not realizing that they belonged to my sister.

MIH, I was wondering if you or the owner had contacted the security office at the mall. Perhaps they got the lady on tape leaving, and perhaps got the car. How did she get all those clothes to and from the laundromat?

Grumpy could be a sign of a bad day (e.g. her own washer/dryer had failed), or she is mentally ill, and perhaps homeless. I have seen people in our area and in San Diego with their cars full of stuff, e.g. clothes, papers, miscellaneous - even pets. They park on side streets and just hangout. The San Diego area has the luxury of public showers at various beaches.

If you had been there for 10 minutes I would think that was enough time for her to come over and tell you that she was using the machine, especially if she had 6 dryers going. It should have been obviouse to here that the clothes she was removing were not hers.

I guess like Artman mentioned, don't dwell on it.

I have a hard time find pants in my size - 30-31 waist - but with large legs. Back when I road a bicycle everyday, my legs were very muscular and disproprortionately large (wide) compared to my waist.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
MIH, I was wondering if you or the own had contacted the security office at the mall. Perhaps they got the lady on tape leaving, and perhaps got the car. How did she get all those clothes to and from the laundromat?
She had her car parked in front, but unfortunately they don't have cameras outside. They just have security guys who ride around on bikes.
Gumpy could be a sign of a bad day (e.g. her own washer/dryer had failed), or she is mentally ill, and perhaps homeless. I have seen people in our area and in San Diego with their cars full of stuff, e.g. clothes, papers, miscellaneous - even pets. They park on side streets and just hangout. The San Diego area has the luxury of public showers at various beaches.
Funny you said "mentally ill" because for some reason I thought that, and even mentioned it to the owner. There was something about her that was a little "off", a little hostile. I tend to think she wasn't homeless- at least I am sure she wasn't one of our local homeless. I know pretty much all of them.

Math Is Hard said:
I disagree. If she took my clothes by accident, it was not a theft. If she took my clothes on purpose, then it is a theft. It doesn't make her any 'less of a criminal' if she took advantage of a situation.
Because you're you it's probably impossible to see that to her you could look like a tweaker dryer hijacker, or some such. By "less of a criminal" of course, I meant that instead of being a straightforward petty thief she becomes in this scenario, a conclusion jumper to-er who goes overboard in trying to teach someone a lesson about laundromat etiquette.

zoobyshoe said:
Because you're you it's probably impossible to see that to her you could look like a tweaker dryer hijacker, or some such. By "less of a criminal" of course, I meant that instead of being a straightforward petty thief she becomes in this scenario, a conclusion jumper to-er who goes overboard in trying to teach someone a lesson about laundromat etiquette.
Nevertheless, I don't think that excuse would buy her much leniency in a court of law. It's tantamount to the rapist's argument that his victim was asking for it.

Math Is Hard said:
Nevertheless, I don't think that excuse would buy her much leniency in a court of law. It's tantamount to the rapist's argument that his victim was asking for it.
We're not in a court of law and this has nothing to do with a rapist blaming the victim to escape culpability. It changes the situation from an outright theft to someone choosing a fairly harsh response to someone who first violated them. I, personally, would be highly ticked off if someone threw clothes in on top of mine, started up the dryer and left. I would sit there stewing about how anyone could be so spaced out and rude. You're gone so she can't even confront you about it. All kinds of scenarios go through her mind: did you do it on purpose to annoy her cause you don't like the look on her face? Are you on drugs? Do you just consider her laundry less important than hers? She gets angirier and angrier. Finally she decides to handle it by leaving and taking your clothes with her. The thought you somehow didn't see her clothes in the dryer never crosses her mind.

For your peace of mind you'd like it so that she's a clear-cut lawbreaker. To me, if she actually had clothes in the dryer, the situation ends up being a great deal muddier, accidental and unfortunate. This is a basic conservative/liberal personality difference between you and I.

zoobyshoe said:
We're not in a court of law and this has nothing to do with a rapist blaming the victim to escape culpability. It changes the situation from an outright theft to someone choosing a fairly harsh response to someone who first violated them.
A "fairly harsh response" would be dumping the clothes on the floor, or even the trash - but not stealing them.
I, personally, would be highly ticked off if someone threw clothes in on top of mine, started up the dryer and left. I would sit there stewing about how anyone could be so spaced out and rude. You're gone so she can't even confront you about it. All kinds of scenarios go through her mind: did you do it on purpose to annoy her cause you don't like the look on her face? Are you on drugs? Do you just consider her laundry less important than hers? She gets angirier and angrier. Finally she decides to handle it by leaving and taking your clothes with her. The thought you somehow didn't see her clothes in the dryer never crosses her mind.
She had ten minutes to say something to me about it. I was standing right by the dryer reading a magazine. But that doesn't really matter, because the bottom line is: you don't get to steal from someone just because you are angry at them or suspicious of them.
For your peace of mind you'd like it so that she's a clear-cut lawbreaker. To me, if she actually had clothes in the dryer, the situation ends up being a great deal muddier, accidental and unfortunate. This is a basic conservative/liberal personality difference between you and I.
No, for my peace of mind, I would like it so that it was not a theft at all, but a mix-up where my laundry was taken unintentionally - perhaps someone doing laundry for a charity, as I mentioned. But it doesn't matter what I would like, or what you would like, or what anyone would like. If she took the clothes on purpose, then she is a clear-cut law-breaker. There is no deal-muddling here. It's theft.

MIH has asked that this thread be locked (dwelling over the problem doesn't seem to be helping it). So, where's Cyrus when you need him: thread locked. :smile: