Some trouble with my force calculations

In summary, the first problem involves finding the magnitude of the contact force between two blocks on a frictionless table. The second problem involves determining the force needed to raise a person using a bucket-pulley apparatus and calculating the acceleration if the force is increased by 10.3 percent.
big_d

Homework Statement

I have 2 problems I'm having trouble with right now.(actually more but I'll ask 2 and try to figure out the others for now.

Two blocks are in contact on a frictionless table. A horizontal force F is applied to M2, as shown. If M1 = 1.06 kg, M2 = 3.38 kg, and F = 4.75 N, find the magnitude of the contact force between the two blocks.
I calculated the acceleration of the entire system to be 1.069m/s^2 but don't know where to go from there.

A window washer pulls herself upward using the bucket-pulley apparatus shown in figure below.

How hard must she pull downward to raise herself slowly at constant speed? The mass of the person plus the bucket is 61.5kg.

Correct, computer gets: 3.01e+02 N

If she increases this force by 10.3 percent, what will her acceleration be?
I answered the first part, and for the second part have determined that if she increases her force ten percent to ~331N, that the acceleration upward would be 662N-601N/mass, but this is incorrect.

Homework Equations

F=ma?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I keep doing the second one like this, and keep getting .98m/s/s

301x1.1=331.1x2=661-601=60.1/61.5kg=.98m/s/s which is not right

Last edited:
Draw a free body diagram of each block separately and analyse the forces acting on it.

Kurdt said:
Draw a free body diagram of each block separately and analyse the forces acting on it.

OK I just did so and got the 4.75N initial force acting on M2, 3.6132N force acting due to acceleration, and on m1 I got 1.13314N in the same direction, so would I do 4.75+3.6132-1.13314? Or does the force from the push carry over to M1 as well?

I'm not sure what you mean with that but 3.613N is the answer. No further action needed.

Kurdt said:
I'm not sure what you mean with that but 3.613N is the answer. No further action needed.
I entered that and it said it was wrong? Weird

big_d said:
I entered that and it said it was wrong? Weird

Sorry, it was very close to what I got as an answer but not exactly the same. Try calculating again.

Kurdt said:
Sorry, it was very close to what I got as an answer but not exactly the same. Try calculating again.

I tried, all my tries are up so I missed it. Can anyone help on the other one?

I'm surprised they were so strict, it was only 0.003 off.

Last edited:
Ya that's weird.
gian0442.gif

can you guys see that picture?

Hi big_d,

big_d said:
OK I just did so and got the 4.75N initial force acting on M2, 3.6132N force acting due to acceleration, and on m1 I got 1.13314N in the same direction, so would I do 4.75+3.6132-1.13314? Or does the force from the push carry over to M1 as well?

I believe the answer for the first problem would be 1.13 N. The acceleration of the entire system is 1.07 m/s^2, and the contact force is the only horizontal force acting on m1 (1.06 kg), so using F=ma gives 1.13 N.

If you want to get the same thing from m2, you would say that the force 4.75 is pushing in the direction of acceleration, the unknown contact force is pushing backwards, and the acceleration is 1.07 m/s^2, so using

(net force) = m a

gives

(4.75) - (contact force) = (3.38) (1.07) ---> contact force = 1.13 N

Last edited:
big_d said:
I keep doing the second one like this, and keep getting .98m/s/s

301x1.1=331.1x2=661-601=60.1/61.5kg=.98m/s/s which is not right

I think this is the right procedure. However, when you don't round off the intermediate values, I get a value that is about 3 percet different from yours. Is that enough for the software to say the answer is wrong?

I'm terribly sorry, I didn't realize the initial force was on the second block. Thats unusual notation though.

What is the purpose of force calculations?

The purpose of force calculations is to determine the magnitude and direction of forces acting on an object in a given system. This information is crucial for understanding the motion and behavior of the object.

What are the common sources of error in force calculations?

Common sources of error in force calculations include incorrect or incomplete data, improper use of equations or formulas, and neglecting to consider all forces acting on the object.

How can I improve the accuracy of my force calculations?

To improve the accuracy of force calculations, it is important to carefully collect and verify all necessary data, double check equations and calculations, and consider all relevant forces in the system. It may also be helpful to consult with other scientists or experts in the field.

What are the applications of force calculations in science?

Force calculations have many applications in science, including understanding and predicting the motion of objects in physics, determining the stability and strength of structures in engineering, and studying the interactions of molecules and particles in chemistry and biology.

What are some common tools and methods used for force calculations?

Some common tools and methods used for force calculations include vector analysis, free body diagrams, Newton's laws of motion, and various equations and formulas from physics and mathematics. Computer simulations and modeling may also be used for more complex systems.