1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Something simple that i cannot visualize?

1. Sep 11, 2007 #1
    Something simple that i cannot visualize!?!?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

limit as x approaches 0 for sinx/4x

2. Relevant equations

ok....what i know is that sinx/x=1 so by that simple statement the answer becomes 1/4 because sinx/x=1 and than there's 4x which gives me the 4....so 1/4......i tend to over think things......another question is why would cos3x=1 when x goes to 0? i know cosx goes to 1 when x equals 0.....but wouldn't you multiply 1 by 3 so it would be 3 or is it because it oscillates to 1 all the time?

3. The attempt at a solution

ok so there's a way our teacher does it that i'm trying to figure out that way, even though i know the answer right off the bat, just thinking it might help me in the future

lim as X approaches 0 for sinx/4x.........lim as x approaches 0 for (sinx)/((4x/4)*4)....this is to get rid of the 4(or should i be multiplying by 4x?) in the 4x and to put it on the outside.......1/4 lim as x approaches 0 for (sinx)/(x).......lim as x approaches 0 for (1/4)*(1)=1/4.....look right to everyone? am i cancelling out the 4x right?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2007 #2
  4. Sep 12, 2007 #3
    Hint: ignore squeeze theorem, use l'Hôpital's rule

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  5. Sep 12, 2007 #4

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

By L'Hopital,
    [tex]\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\sin x}{4 x} = \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\cos x}{4} = \frac{1}{4}[/tex]

Or by Taylor expansion,
    [tex]\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\sin x}{4 x} = \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{x + \mathcal O(x^3) }{4 x} = \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{1 + \mathcal O(x^2) }{4} = \lim_{x \to 0} \left( \frac{1}{4} + \mathcal O(x^2) \right) = \frac14.[/tex]

Both ways completely analogous to how you would prove the [itex]\sin x/x[/itex] limit.

Or the stupid way :smile:
    [tex]\lim_{x \to 0} \frac14 \frac{\sin x}{x} = \left( \lim_{x \to 0} \frac14 \right) \times \left( \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\sin x}{x} \right) = \frac14 \times 1 = \frac14. [/tex]

6. Sep 12, 2007 #5
    :rofl:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?