Something weird about Rotational Kinematic Equations

In summary, the average acceleration of the gramophone record can be found using the equation a = (w - W)/t, where t is the time it takes for the record to rotate from an initial angular velocity, W, to a final angular velocity, w, while undergoing an angular displacement of 8. The resulting answer is 49.0 rad s^-2. The attempt at a solution using the equation w2 = W2 + 2a8 is incorrect because the angular velocity, w, is not constant. The correct equation is
Stefenng

Homework Statement

I need to find the average acceleration of a gramophone record.

Initial angular velocity, W = 0
Final angular velocity, w = 3.50rad s^-1
angular displacement, 8 = 0.25rad

Homework Equations

The equation given by the answer is

t= 8/w
a = ( w - W ) / t
the answer is 49.0 rad s-2

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the equation I use

w2 = W2 + 2a8

and I get 24.5rad s-2

But if I multiply it with 2, the angular acceleration will become 49rad s-2

That mean my equation will become
w2 = W2 + a8

Can anyone explain this to me?
Or I use a wrong equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Stefenng said:

Homework Equations

t= 8/w
a = ( w - W ) / t

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the equation I use

w2 = W2 + 2a8

and I get 24.5rad s-2

You are right:

t= 8/w is wrong because the angular velocity is not constant

It should be t= 28/w

ok...thx... ^^

Stefenng said:

Homework Equations

t= 8/w
a = ( w - W ) / t

Hi Stefenng! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and an omega: ω :wink:)

You must learn the standard https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=204" equations …

it isn't θ = ωt (or t = θ/ω), it's θ = ωt + 1/2 αt2 :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are rotational kinematic equations?

Rotational kinematic equations are a set of equations that describe the motion of objects that are rotating around an axis. These equations relate the angular velocity, angular acceleration, and angular displacement of the object to each other.

2. How are rotational kinematic equations different from linear kinematic equations?

Rotational kinematic equations are specifically designed to describe the motion of rotating objects, while linear kinematic equations are used for objects that are moving in a straight line. The variables and equations used are different, as rotational motion involves angles and angular velocity, while linear motion involves distance and linear velocity.

3. What are some real-life applications of rotational kinematic equations?

Rotational kinematic equations are used in many areas of physics and engineering, such as in the design of motors and engines, the study of celestial bodies, and the analysis of sports movements like throwing and spinning.

4. Can rotational kinematic equations be used for non-uniform rotational motion?

No, rotational kinematic equations are only applicable for uniform rotational motion, where the angular velocity remains constant. For non-uniform rotational motion, more complex equations, such as those involving torque and moment of inertia, are needed.

5. How can I use rotational kinematic equations to solve problems?

To use rotational kinematic equations, you will need to identify the given variables and the unknown variable in the problem. Then, you can use the appropriate equation to solve for the unknown variable. It is important to pay attention to the units of the variables and make sure they are consistent before plugging them into the equations.