Something weird with the fundamental theorem of calculus

In summary: DonAntonioI am not an expert on this subject, but I do not believe that the estimate applies if the lower limit is greater than the upper limit.
AxiomOfChoice
Suppose I know my function G is infinitely differentiable on the closed interval [a,b] and that all derivatives of G (including G itself) vanish at b. For any z in [a,b], I have by the FTC that

[tex]
\int_z^b G'(w) dw = G(b) - G(z).
[/tex]

Or, switching limits,

[tex]
\int_b^z G'(w) dw = G(z) - G(b).
[/tex]

One can integrate by parts on the left-hand side and obtain (this is basically what the integral remainder form of Taylor's theorem tells you)

[tex]
G(z) - G(b) = G'(b)(z-b) + \int_b^z (z-w)G''(w)dw,
[/tex]

or [itex]G(z) = \int_b^z (z-w)G''(w)dw[/itex] when you drop the terms that are zero (i.e., G(b) and G'(b)). Now, I want to take absolute values of both sides and do some estimating. I get

[tex]
|G(z)| \leq \int_b^z |z-w||G''(w)|dw \leq C \int_b^z |z-w|dw,
[/tex]

since we are assuming G is [itex]C^\infty[/itex] and therefore has bounded second derivative on [itex][z,b][/itex]. But on this interval, w > z, so |z-w| = w-z, so we have

[tex]
|G(z)| \leq C \int_b^z (w-z) dw,
[/tex]

which evaluates to

[tex]
|G(z)| \leq - \frac 12 C (z-b)^2,
[/tex]

which is telling me that a positive quantity is less than, or equal to, a negative number! What on Earth have I done wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
AxiomOfChoice said:
One can integrate by parts on the left-hand side and obtain (this is basically what the integral remainder form of Taylor's theorem tells you)

[tex]
[/tex]

I don't see this. I come up with
[itex]G'(z)z - \int_b^z G''(\omega)\omega \mathrm{d}\omega[/itex]

AxiomOfChoice said:
Suppose I know my function G is infinitely differentiable on the closed interval [a,b] and that all derivatives of G (including G itself) vanish at b. For any z in [a,b], I have by the FTC that

[tex]
\int_z^b G'(w) dw = G(b) - G(z).
[/tex]

Or, switching limits,

[tex]
\int_b^z G'(w) dw = G(z) - G(b).
[/tex]

[tex]
[/tex]

Here: putting [itex]\,\,u = G'\Longrightarrow u'=G''\,\,,\,\,v'=1\Longrightarrow v=w\,\,[/itex] , integrating by parts gives [tex]wG'(w)\left.\right]_b^z-\int_b^zwG''(w)dw[/tex] I don't understand why you got [itex]\,(z-w)\,[/itex] in the right integral and also [itex]\,G'(b)(z-b)\,[/itex] instead of

[itex]\,zG'(z)-bG'(b)[/itex]...?

or [itex]G(z) = \int_b^z (z-w)G''(w)dw[/itex] when you drop the terms that are zero (i.e., G(b) and G'(b)). Now, I want to take absolute values of both sides and do some estimating. I get

[tex]
|G(z)| \leq \int_b^z |z-w||G''(w)|dw \leq C \int_b^z |z-w|dw,
[/tex]

since we are assuming G is [itex]C^\infty[/itex] and therefore has bounded second derivative on [itex][z,b][/itex]. But on this interval, w > z, so |z-w| = w-z, so we have

[tex]
|G(z)| \leq C \int_b^z (w-z) dw,
[/tex]

which evaluates to

[tex]
|G(z)| \leq - \frac 12 C (z-b)^2,
[/tex]

which is telling me that a positive quantity is less than, or equal to, a negative number! What on Earth have I done wrong here?

DonAntonio

AxiomOfChoice said:
What on Earth have I done wrong here?

The estimate that [itex]\left\vert \int_{a}^{b} f(x)\ \mathrm{d}x\right\vert \leq \int_{a}^{b} \vert f(x) \vert \ \mathrm{d}x[/itex] only applies when a<b. You applied it to an integral where the lower limit is greater than the upper limit.

Last edited:
Citan Uzuki said:
The estimate that [itex]\int_{a}^{b} f(x)\ \mathrm{d}x \leq \int_{a}^{b} \vert f(x) \vert \ \mathrm{d}x[/itex] only applies when a<b. You applied it to an integral where the lower limit is greater than the upper limit.

He didn't do this: he applied absolute value to both sides...

DonAntonio

Sorry, that was a typo. Should be fixed now.

Citan Uzuki said:
Sorry, that was a typo. Should be fixed now.

I see, but it still is correct, as (assuming the function [itex]\,f\,[/itex] is positive on [a,b] , [itex]\,a<b\,[/itex] ) : [tex]\left|\int_b^a fdx\right|=\left|-\int_a^bfdx\right|=\int_a^bfdx= \int_a^b|f|dx[/tex] and if the function's negative on that interval then [tex]\left|\int_b^a fdx\right|=\left|-\int_a^bfdx\right|=\left|\int_a^b(-f)dx\right|= \int_a^b(-f)dx=\int_a^b|f|dx[/tex] so for a general function with changes of sign in [a,b] we have the same inequality.

DonAntonio

theorem4.5.9 said:
I don't see this. I come up with
[itex]G'(z)z - \int_b^z G''(\omega)\omega \mathrm{d}\omega[/itex]

If one let's [itex]v = w - z[/itex], you still get [itex]dv = dw[/itex] as desired, but you also get what I wrote out. I'm allowed to do this, right?

Citan Uzuki said:
The estimate that [itex]\left\vert \int_{a}^{b} f(x)\ \mathrm{d}x\right\vert \leq \int_{a}^{b} \vert f(x) \vert \ \mathrm{d}x[/itex] only applies when a<b. You applied it to an integral where the lower limit is greater than the upper limit.

This makes a lot of sense to me. I'm still trying to hash out DonAntonio's objection to this statement, but it seems right.

DonAntonio said:
I see, but it still is correct, as (assuming the function [itex]\,f\,[/itex] is positive on [a,b] , [itex]\,a<b\,[/itex] ) : [tex]\left|\int_b^a fdx\right|=\left|-\int_a^bfdx\right|=\int_a^bfdx= \int_a^b|f|dx[/tex] and if the function's negative on that interval then [tex]\left|\int_b^a fdx\right|=\left|-\int_a^bfdx\right|=\left|\int_a^b(-f)dx\right|= \int_a^b(-f)dx=\int_a^b|f|dx[/tex] so for a general function with changes of sign in [a,b] we have the same inequality.

DonAntonio

I don't think this is true. Consider [itex]f(x) = 1[/itex] on the interval [itex][0,1][/itex]. We have

[tex]
\left| \int_1^0 1 \cdot dx \right| = | 0 - 1| = 1.
[/tex]

Whereas

[tex]
\int_1^0 |1| dx = 0 - 1 = -1 \not \geq 1.
[/tex]

So I think Citan is right.

His objection was that Citan Uzuki had originally written
[tex]\int_a^b f(x)dx\le \int_a^b |f(x)|dx[/tex]
rather than
[tex]\left|\int_a^b f(x)dx\right| \le \int_a^b |f(x)|dx[/tex]
to which he changed it after DonAntonio's post.

AxiomOfChoice said:
If one let's [itex]v = w - z[/itex], you still get [itex]dv = dw[/itex] as desired, but you also get what I wrote out. I'm allowed to do this, right?

Choosing an additional constant doesn't change the integration by parts, as it will cancel out. I illustrate with the constant [itex]z[/itex] but it's true for any constant.

[tex]\int_b^z G'(w)dw = G'(w)(w-z)|_b^z - \int_b^z G''(w)(w-z) = 0 - \int_b^z G''(w)wdw + z\int_b^z G''(w) = zG'(w)_b^z - \int_b^z G''(w)wdw = zG'(z) - \int_b^z G''(w)wdw [/tex]

I think you're both right (theorem4.5.9 and AxiomOfChoice). Both results seem to be true, but the OP chose to write it with (w-z) in the integral (so he integrated by parts with z-b instead of just z). theorem's result doesn't contradict Axiom's answer, it simply doesn't lead to the same place as he wants. The mistake is what Citan mentioned: when he took absolute value of both sides, he didn't switch the bounds (from b--->z to z---->b), which of course gave a negative number.

(Just out of curiosity, what happens if we continue this integration by parts process as many times as we want? Won't it tell us that g(x) = 0 since each derivative vanishes as b and therefore the u(x)v(x) part will always cancel and we'll remain only with the integrals each time...? I know this is wrong but has anyone tried?)

Boorglar said:
I think you're both right (theorem4.5.9 and AxiomOfChoice). Both results seem to be true, but the OP chose to write it with (w-z) in the integral (so he integrated by parts with z-b instead of just z). theorem's result doesn't contradict Axiom's answer, it simply doesn't lead to the same place as he wants. The mistake is what Citan mentioned: when he took absolute value of both sides, he didn't switch the bounds (from b--->z to z---->b), which of course gave a negative number.

I wasn't sure how axiom arrived at his integration by parts, though he cleared that up. My point was to show the equivalence of the two. The answer to his question had already been shared at that point.

Boorglar said:
(Just out of curiosity, what happens if we continue this integration by parts process as many times as we want? Won't it tell us that g(x) = 0 since each derivative vanishes as b and therefore the u(x)v(x) part will always cancel and we'll remain only with the integrals each time...? I know this is wrong but has anyone tried?)

You're right that the ##u(x)v(x)## is always zero, but the integral never goes away. Furthermore, there are not any precise bounds on the derivatives of ##G##, so we cannot make the integral small.

1. What is the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus is a mathematical concept that relates the fields of differential and integral calculus. It states that the integral of a function can be calculated by finding the antiderivative of that function and evaluating it at the upper and lower bounds of integration.

2. What is considered weird about the fundamental theorem of calculus?

Some people find it weird that the fundamental theorem of calculus connects two seemingly different mathematical operations, differentiation and integration, in such a simple and elegant way.

3. How does the fundamental theorem of calculus apply to real-world problems?

The fundamental theorem of calculus has many practical applications in physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to find the area under a curve, calculate the velocity and acceleration of an object, and solve optimization problems.

4. Are there any limitations to the fundamental theorem of calculus?

While the fundamental theorem of calculus is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It can only be applied to continuous functions and may not work for more complex functions or in certain situations where the conditions for the theorem are not met.

5. How can I better understand the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The best way to understand the fundamental theorem of calculus is to practice solving problems and working with different types of functions. It can also be helpful to visualize the concept through graphs and diagrams. Seeking the guidance of a math tutor or taking a calculus course can also aid in understanding this theorem.