Something wrong with my TI-89 Titanium

In summary, the conversation discusses an issue with a TI-89 Titanium calculator where it displays answers in numerical values instead of using variables. The problem is identified as stored variables and the solution is to clear all variables. This is a common issue for the individuals involved in the conversation.
NerdyFun
There is something wrong with my TI-89 Titanium. When I enter factor(x^2-5x=6), it displays the answer as 6.17481 E12/ (2)^11 * (5)^13.
I've checked all the mode settings and they seem to be same as the initial settings. Any idea what could be wrong?

Computer science news on Phys.org
It displays answers in numerical values instead of answers with variables when I try to integrate or differentiate functions too. It has never happened before.

The problem seems to be that you have stored some value to x. What you may need to do is clear all those variables (there is an option from the homescreen under F1, I believe). Basically, you may have done something like this:

37→X

So then factor(x^2-5x=6) would do something like this in the background:
(x+1)(x-6)

But when it displays it, since x has an actual value, it computes (37+1)(37-6). In your case, x is clearly not 37, but I am sure you get the idea XD

Yes, that's it! I cleared all the variables and it works fine! Thank you very much! <3

That is great to hear! That is a problem that always trips me up, too, because I like to store values to variables.

Last edited:

1. What are some common issues with the TI-89 Titanium calculator?

Some common issues with the TI-89 Titanium calculator include frozen screen, unresponsive buttons, and errors in calculations.

2. How do I reset my TI-89 Titanium calculator?

To reset your TI-89 Titanium calculator, press and hold the ON button and the 2nd button simultaneously. Then, release both buttons and press the F1 button to confirm the reset.

3. Why is my TI-89 Titanium calculator not turning on?

There could be several reasons why your TI-89 Titanium calculator is not turning on, such as dead batteries, a faulty charging cable, or a hardware issue. Try replacing the batteries or using a different charging cable to see if that solves the problem.

4. How can I fix the "Memory Cleared" message on my TI-89 Titanium calculator?

The "Memory Cleared" message on your TI-89 Titanium calculator indicates that the calculator's memory has been reset. To restore your saved data, press the APPS button, select "Memory Management," and then choose "Restore."

5. Is it possible to update the operating system of my TI-89 Titanium calculator?

Yes, it is possible to update the operating system of your TI-89 Titanium calculator. You can download the latest software from the Texas Instruments website and follow the instructions to update the OS.