Finding sequences on the TI-89 Titanium Calculator?

In summary, the conversation is about using a TI-89 Titanium calculator for finding formulas of sequences. The person wants to input a sequence of numbers and have the calculator give them a formula, rather than the other way around. They discuss the difficulty of finding a "simplest" formula and suggest looking for common ratios or differences in the sequence.
jonathan1
Can someone guide me toward using my TI-89 Titanium calculator for sequences?

I would like to be able to PUT IN a sequence of numbers and have it GIVE ME the formula. Not vice versa please. Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I would suggest there must be some limit to this - there are probably infinite answers to "guess the next term".

For instance, what do you think is the next term for 1, 2, 4, 8, 16?

What I mean is that I'd like to put in a sequence of numbers such as (1, -1/3, 1/9, -1/27, 1/81,...) and have it give me a formula like (-1/3)^n-1

So you want a simplest formula, for some values of simplest? I am not sure of an easy way to do this, except perhaps look for things like common ratios / differences, perhaps taken over several steps?

I am happy to provide guidance on using your TI-89 Titanium calculator for sequences. First, it is important to understand that your calculator has a built-in function specifically for finding sequences. This function is called "seq" and it allows you to input a sequence of numbers and find the formula for it.

To use this function, follow these steps:

1. Press the "Apps" button on your calculator.

2. Scroll down to the "Sequence" option and press enter.

3. Select "seq" from the menu and press enter.

4. You will now see a screen with "seq(" written on it.

5. Input your sequence of numbers in between the parentheses, separated by commas. For example, if your sequence is 2, 4, 6, 8, you would input "2, 4, 6, 8" after "seq(".

6. Press enter and your calculator will display the formula for your sequence.

Please note that this function assumes your sequence follows a simple pattern and may not work for more complex sequences. Additionally, if you want to input a formula and find the corresponding sequence, you can use the "seqT" function instead of "seq".

I hope this helps guide you in using your TI-89 Titanium calculator for finding sequences. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

1. What is the purpose of finding sequences on the TI-89 Titanium Calculator?

The TI-89 Titanium Calculator allows users to find the terms of a sequence, whether arithmetic, geometric, or other types of sequences. This feature is especially useful for students studying math or science, as it can help them identify patterns and make predictions.

2. How do I access the sequence function on the TI-89 Titanium Calculator?

To access the sequence function, press the APPS button on the calculator and select "Sequences" from the menu. Alternatively, you can press the 2nd button followed by the F1 button to directly access the sequence menu.

3. What types of sequences can I find on the TI-89 Titanium Calculator?

The TI-89 Titanium Calculator can find arithmetic, geometric, recursive, and parametric sequences. It also has the ability to find the sum of arithmetic and geometric sequences.

4. How do I enter a sequence into the calculator?

To enter a sequence on the TI-89 Titanium Calculator, go to the sequence menu and select the type of sequence you want to find. Then, enter the first term of the sequence, the common difference or ratio (if applicable), and the number of terms you want to find. Press enter to see the sequence displayed on the screen.

5. Can I save and recall sequences on the TI-89 Titanium Calculator?

Yes, you can save and recall up to 10 sequences on the TI-89 Titanium Calculator. To save a sequence, go to the sequence menu and select "Store" to save the current sequence displayed on the screen. To recall a saved sequence, go to the sequence menu and select "Recall" followed by the number of the saved sequence.