(Sort of) Intermediate Value Theorem

In summary, the question asks to prove that for a continuous function f on [a,b] with a right-hand derivative at a, and a number \mu between the right-hand derivative and the slope of the secant line between (a,f(a)) and (b,f(b)), there exists some c \in (a,b) such that f(c) - f(a) = \mu (c-a). This can be shown using the Intermediate Value Theorem and the given conditions on f and \mu.
Yagoda

Homework Statement

Suppose that f is continuous on [a,b], its right-hand derivative [itex]f'_{+}(a)[/itex] exists, and [itex]\mu[/itex] is between [itex]f'_{+}(a)[/itex] and [itex]\frac{f(b)-f(a)}{b-a}[/itex]. Show that [itex]f(c) - f(a) = \mu (c-a)[/itex] for some [itex]c \in (a,b)[/itex].

Homework Equations

[itex] f'_{+}(a) = \lim_{x \rightarrow a^+}\frac{f(x)-f(a)}{x-a} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I spent a little while trying to figure out exactly what I am trying to prove and it definitely makes sense now. Intuitively I can see that it is true. My first instinct was to use the IVT for derivatives or the MVT, but those both require that f be differentiable, which I don't know to be the case here.
So I looked at using the regular IVT, since it only requires that f be continuous on [a,b], but also needs f(a) not equal to f(b). I was going to for now ignore the case where f(a) = f(b), but I was having trouble showing that [itex]\mu [/itex] is between the required bounds.
Am I even on the right track or is there another approach that makes more sense?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It might help to know that the function
[tex]\frac{ f(x) - f(a)}{x-a}[/tex]
is a continuous function on (a,b)

Yagoda said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that f is continuous on [a,b], its right-hand derivative [itex]f'_{+}(a)[/itex] exists, and [itex]\mu[/itex] is between [itex]f'_{+}(a)[/itex] and [itex]\frac{f(b)-f(a)}{b-a}[/itex]. Show that [itex]f(c) - f(a) = \mu (c-a)[/itex] for some [itex]c \in (a,b)[/itex].

Homework Equations

[itex] f'_{+}(a) = \lim_{x \rightarrow a^+}\frac{f(x)-f(a)}{x-a} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I spent a little while trying to figure out exactly what I am trying to prove and it definitely makes sense now. Intuitively I can see that it is true. My first instinct was to use the IVT for derivatives or the MVT, but those both require that f be differentiable, which I don't know to be the case here.
So I looked at using the regular IVT, since it only requires that f be continuous on [a,b], but also needs f(a) not equal to f(b). I was going to for now ignore the case where f(a) = f(b), but I was having trouble showing that [itex]\mu [/itex] is between the required bounds.
Am I even on the right track or is there another approach that makes more sense?

Thanks.

The question suggests that it would be worth considering
[tex]g(x) = \frac{f(x) - f(a)}{x - a}[/tex]
which is certainly defined and continuous for [itex]a < x \leq b[/itex]. Since [itex]f'_{+}(a)[/itex] exists we can make [itex]g[/itex] continuous at [itex]x = a[/itex] by setting [itex]g(a) = f'_{+}(a)[/itex].

Now [itex]g[/itex] is continuous on [itex][a,b][/itex] and you can apply the IVT.

1. What is the (Sort of) Intermediate Value Theorem?

The (Sort of) Intermediate Value Theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that if a continuous function has two values that are close to each other, then there must exist a point between those two values where the function takes on a specific value. However, there are certain conditions that must be met for this theorem to hold true, hence the "sort of" qualifier.

2. What are the conditions for the (Sort of) Intermediate Value Theorem to hold true?

The conditions for the (Sort of) Intermediate Value Theorem are: 1) the function must be continuous on a closed interval, 2) the function must take on different values at the endpoints of the interval, and 3) the value that the function needs to take on must be between the values at the endpoints.

3. How is the (Sort of) Intermediate Value Theorem different from the Intermediate Value Theorem?

The Intermediate Value Theorem states that if a continuous function has two values that are close to each other, then there must exist a point between those two values where the function takes on any value in between. In contrast, the (Sort of) Intermediate Value Theorem only guarantees the existence of a specific value between the two given values, not any value in between.

4. Can the (Sort of) Intermediate Value Theorem be applied to discontinuous functions?

No, the (Sort of) Intermediate Value Theorem only applies to continuous functions. A continuous function is one that has no sudden jumps or breaks in its graph, while a discontinuous function has at least one point where the graph is not connected.

5. How is the (Sort of) Intermediate Value Theorem used in real-world applications?

The (Sort of) Intermediate Value Theorem is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, and economics. It can be used to make predictions about the behavior of a system based on known values, or to analyze data and find missing values. For example, it can be used to predict the location of a particle based on its initial and final positions, or to estimate the concentration of a chemical in a solution based on experimental data.