1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(Sort of) Intermediate Value Theorem

1. Sep 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose that f is continuous on [a,b], its right-hand derivative [itex]f'_{+}(a)[/itex] exists, and [itex]\mu[/itex] is between [itex]f'_{+}(a)[/itex] and [itex]\frac{f(b)-f(a)}{b-a}[/itex]. Show that [itex]f(c) - f(a) = \mu (c-a)[/itex] for some [itex]c \in (a,b)[/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    [itex] f'_{+}(a) = \lim_{x \rightarrow a^+}\frac{f(x)-f(a)}{x-a} [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I spent a little while trying to figure out exactly what I am trying to prove and it definitely makes sense now. Intuitively I can see that it is true. My first instinct was to use the IVT for derivatives or the MVT, but those both require that f be differentiable, which I don't know to be the case here.
    So I looked at using the regular IVT, since it only requires that f be continuous on [a,b], but also needs f(a) not equal to f(b). I was going to for now ignore the case where f(a) = f(b), but I was having trouble showing that [itex]\mu [/itex] is between the required bounds.
    Am I even on the right track or is there another approach that makes more sense?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2013 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It might help to know that the function
    [tex]\frac{ f(x) - f(a)}{x-a}[/tex]
    is a continuous function on (a,b)

4. Sep 8, 2013 #3

pasmith

Homework Helper

The question suggests that it would be worth considering
    [tex]g(x) = \frac{f(x) - f(a)}{x - a}[/tex]
    which is certainly defined and continuous for [itex]a < x \leq b[/itex]. Since [itex]f'_{+}(a)[/itex] exists we can make [itex]g[/itex] continuous at [itex]x = a[/itex] by setting [itex]g(a) = f'_{+}(a)[/itex].

Now [itex]g[/itex] is continuous on [itex][a,b][/itex] and you can apply the IVT.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted