1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sound, balloons, light, & pressure questions

1. Dec 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Question 1: A gram of radioactive material has a half life of x.

2. Relevant equations

Please not that this is a generally question and I am not actually solving for X.
    After x amount of time, how much will be left?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I believe the answer is somewhere along the lines of: The half-life is the time required for half the atoms in the sample to decay.

Question 2: When light reflects from a surface, there is a change in its?
    I am not exactly sure what the teacher is wanting for the answer. Any ideas?

Question 3: Gas pressure inside an inflated, stretched balloon is actually____________.
    equal, less than, greater than

Question 4: In a vacuum, a marshmallow becomes__________.
    My guess is that it becomes bigger.

Question 5: When an alpha particle is ejected from the nucleus, the nucleus has less________. (Charge, mass, both, neither)
    My guess would be less charge because the alpha particle is two neutrons and two protons--which have charges.

Question 6: What is the speed of a free falling object--if air resistance is absent--on the 3rd second?
    I am not sure of this question at all. Is there a formula for a problem like this?

Please note that I am NOT trying to have someone do my homework for me. I would like explanations of why the answer is the answer. Thanks in advance!!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?