Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Sound, balloons, light, & pressure questions

1. Dec 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Question 1: A gram of radioactive material has a half life of x.

2. Relevant equations

Please not that this is a generally question and I am not actually solving for X.
    After x amount of time, how much will be left?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I believe the answer is somewhere along the lines of: The half-life is the time required for half the atoms in the sample to decay.

Question 2: When light reflects from a surface, there is a change in its?
    I am not exactly sure what the teacher is wanting for the answer. Any ideas?

Question 3: Gas pressure inside an inflated, stretched balloon is actually____________.
    equal, less than, greater than

Question 4: In a vacuum, a marshmallow becomes__________.
    My guess is that it becomes bigger.

Question 5: When an alpha particle is ejected from the nucleus, the nucleus has less________. (Charge, mass, both, neither)
    My guess would be less charge because the alpha particle is two neutrons and two protons--which have charges.

Question 6: What is the speed of a free falling object--if air resistance is absent--on the 3rd second?
    I am not sure of this question at all. Is there a formula for a problem like this?

Please note that I am NOT trying to have someone do my homework for me. I would like explanations of why the answer is the answer. Thanks in advance!!

--Allison

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook