1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sound (harmonic) waves questions

1. Nov 25, 2013 #1
    Hello,
    I have two question regrading sound waves.
    The first one:
    The pressure P(x;t) at a point x at time t in a medium through which a harmonic wave is
    travelling can be described by:
    P(x,t) = Asin(wt -kx)
    If the equation describes a pressure wave travelling in air, with amplitude 2 Pa and frequency 100 Hz,
    find the instantaneous pressure at a distance 10 cm from the source at time 5s.
    My solution(am I doing right?):
    w=2pi*f
    w=2pi*100Hz = 200pi rad/sec;

k=2pi/λ; v=f*λ; λ=343m/s /100 Hz = 3.43m and k=2pi/3.43 =1.83 rad/m;

Finally I have this:
    P(x=0.1 ,t=5) = 2sin(200pi*5 -1.18*0.1) = -0.34.

The second question is here ORWfejn.png
    Hope you can help me to figure out the solutions.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2013 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

I can see how you approached this, but the assumption of v = 343 m/sec seems unreasonable in light of knowing nothing more than it is sound in "a medium". I think the best you can do is state " I can't see how this can be solved without knowing v or λ so to allow computations I am going to imagine the medium is air at 25C " or something like that.

For your second problem, you'll need to use trig identities, cos (A) + cos (B)

4. Nov 25, 2013 #3
    Thanks for you reply,
    In the end of question's paper it says 343m/sec, so I decided to use it. I'm just confused with the negative result.

5. Nov 25, 2013 #4

NascentOxygen

A sinusoid "with amplitude of 2 Pa" is a convention or standard expression implying pressure varies cyclically from 2 Pa below ambient (rarefaction) to 2 Pa above ambient (compression). If it were intended to be otherwise, the question would be worded to make that clear.

6. Nov 25, 2013 #5
    So the negative result translates into;
    Atmospheric(Pa) + (-0.34 Pa) = Absolute (Pa) ?

7. Nov 25, 2013 #6

NascentOxygen

I assume that's how it is. There is an incremental change in pressure given by that sinusoid.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted