Sound underwater distance and decibels

In summary, sound does travel further underwater due to its faster speed and can be used for communication over long distances by marine animals. However, our ears are not designed to effectively pick up sound underwater due to the differences in impedance and the way the vibrations are transmitted through our bodies. Therefore, the online reasoning for why we can't hear sound as well underwater is correct.
hongiddong
I was wondering if sound underwater traveled further than sound in air? It seems like it wouldn't do to viscosity. I know that it travels faster however.

Lastly, is the online reasoning for why we can't hear sound as well underwater correct: the water vibration bypasses some of the sensory mechanisms and vibrations of the ear drum, but instead vibrates the mastoid process?

Physics news on Phys.org
hongiddong said:
I was wondering if sound underwater traveled further than sound in air? It seems like it wouldn't do to viscosity. I know that it travels faster however.

for a given amplitude and frequency, yes it does.
It also travels at different speeds depending on the density of the water ... depth and composition are two controlling factors

Whales use sound over many 100's of km's to communicate

my sensors regularly pick up sound waves transmitted through the ocean from seafloor earthquakes 1000's of km away ... around 4000 km is my current personal record :smile:Dave

Likes hongiddong and berkeman
hongiddong said:
Lastly, is the online reasoning for why we can't hear sound as well underwater correct: the water vibration bypasses some of the sensory mechanisms and vibrations of the ear drum, but instead vibrates the mastoid process?
Our ears have specifically evolved to transform the vibrations in the air, which are 'low impedance' (small variations in pressure and relatively large displacement of a light medium) to the sensors in the cochlea which is a high impedance (very little displacement and higher variations in pressure). The ear drum is light weight and very flexible and the ossicles behave as levers to reduce the movement and increase the force of the vibrations. The ear drum is doing just the wrong job to couple sound from water effectively. The vibrations tend to be better transmitted through the bones of the skull and the fluid in the head. What we hear under water is far from 'hi fi' because the frequency response of that path has not been tiffled over the generations.

Likes hongiddong

1. How does sound travel underwater?

Sound travels through water in the form of pressure waves. These waves are created by vibrating objects, such as fish or boats, and travel through the water until they reach our ears.

2. What factors affect the distance and strength of sound underwater?

The distance and strength of sound underwater are affected by several factors, including water temperature, depth, salinity, and the presence of objects or marine life that can absorb or reflect sound waves.

3. How is sound measured underwater?

The loudness of sound underwater is measured in decibels (dB). Underwater sound levels are typically much higher than on land due to the higher density of water compared to air.

4. What is the impact of human-made sounds on marine life?

Human-made sounds, such as those from ships, sonar, or oil and gas exploration, can have a significant impact on marine life. These loud sounds can disrupt communication, navigation, and feeding behaviors of marine animals, leading to stress and potential harm to their populations.

5. Can sound travel indefinitely underwater?

No, sound does not travel indefinitely underwater. The intensity of sound decreases as it travels through water, and eventually, it becomes too faint to be detected by our ears. The distance sound can travel underwater depends on several factors, including the source's loudness, frequency, and the characteristics of the water it is traveling through.