Source tracelessness, divergencelessness at invariant speed

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the trace-free and divergenceless properties of the stress-energy tensor, specifically in the case of electromagnetism propagating at the invariant speed. It is concluded that while the tracelessness can be attributed to the velocity of propagation, the divergencelessness cannot be solely determined by this condition. The book "An Introduction To Mechanics" is mentioned, but the specific page number referenced is not correct.
EagleH
Is the local propagation of an entity at invariant speed a sufficient condition for its stress-energy tensor, independently of its explicit mathematical form, to be trace-free, or to have null covariant divergence, or both in curved space-time?
In the book “An Introduction To Mechanics”, by Daniel Kleppner and Robert J Kolenkow, at page 326 says that, the electromagnetic stress-energy tensor, giving its exact mathematical form, is trace-free because electromagnetism propagates at the invariant speed. Until now I understood that, the traceless character of this tensor, as also its vanishing covariant divergence were a direct result of its mathematical form (symmetries), which results from the application of the least action principle for writing it. Is it that propagation at invariant speed is enough for tracelessness and divergencelessness?
I was not able to work out an answer using tensor calculus, or intuition. I will very much appreciate any help.
Regards,
EagleH

Physics news on Phys.org
The reason it has to be divergence free is the same as the reason that any other stress-energy tensor has to be divergence-free: local conservation of mass-energy.

Yes, the trace-free property does relate to the velocity of propagation. The momentum of a beam of light is related to its energy by p=E (in units with c=1). This fact holds only because v=c. I find it more convenient to think in terms of a photon gas, because then you can go into the frame where it's at rest on average, and the [itex]T^\mu_\nu[/itex] form of the stress-energy tensor looks like a diagonal matrix with elements [itex](\rho,-P,-P,-P)[/itex]. The average momentum along each axis is proportional to E/3, so it's traceless.

EagleH said:
Until now I understood that, the traceless character of this tensor, as also its vanishing covariant divergence were a direct result of its mathematical form (symmetries), which results from the application of the least action principle for writing it.

Tracelessness isn't a result of its symmetry, it's simply the word we use to describe its symmetry. Since all of physics can come from writing down Lagrangians, it's certainly true that a specific fact like this must come from the Lagrangian.

EagleH said:
Is the local propagation of an entity at invariant speed a sufficient condition for its stress-energy tensor, independently of its explicit mathematical form, to be trace-free, or to have null covariant divergence, or both in curved space-time?
Yes, it's a sufficient condition for it to be trace-free. No, it's not a sufficient condition for it to be divergenceless. For example, if I say that photons don't redshift due to cosmological expansion, then their stress-energy tensor would have a nonvanishing divergence.

EagleH said:
In the book “An Introduction To Mechanics”, by Daniel Kleppner and Robert J Kolenkow, at page 326 says that, the electromagnetic stress-energy tensor, giving its exact mathematical form, is trace-free because electromagnetism propagates at the invariant speed.
Are you sure it's that book and that page? I don't have my copy handy, but using amazon's "look inside" function, that doesn't seem right. Relativity comes much later than p. 326 in that book.

Last edited:
EagleH said:
In the book “An Introduction To Mechanics”, by Daniel Kleppner and Robert J Kolenkow, at page 326 says that, the electromagnetic stress-energy tensor, giving its exact mathematical form, is trace-free because electromagnetism propagates at the invariant speed.

What edition do you have? I have one with a 1973 copyright, and p. 326 is about rigid body motion (section 7.7).

What is source tracelessness?

Source tracelessness refers to the property of a vector field where the divergence of the field is equal to zero. In other words, the net flow of the field out of a closed surface is zero.

What is divergencelessness?

Divergencelessness, also known as solenoidal, refers to the property of a vector field where the net flow of the field out of a closed surface is equal to zero. This means that the field has no sources or sinks.

What does invariant speed mean?

Invariant speed refers to the speed of a wave or disturbance that remains constant regardless of the reference frame. This means that the speed of the wave is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

How are source tracelessness and divergencelessness related?

Source tracelessness and divergencelessness are closely related, as both properties refer to the net flow of a vector field. A field that is source traceless is also divergenceless, but the reverse is not always true.

Why are these properties important in science?

Source tracelessness, divergencelessness, and invariant speed are important concepts in many fields of science, including physics, mathematics, and engineering. They are used to describe and analyze various physical phenomena, such as electromagnetic fields and fluid flow. These properties also play a key role in the development of fundamental theories, such as Maxwell's equations and the Navier-Stokes equations.