Soviet or Russian Physics and Math textbooks

In summary: So, if you're looking for a calculus book that is well-rounded and open-ended, Piskunov is a great option.In summary, Piskunov is a calculus book that is more comprehensive than most, and is ideal for students who are looking for an advanced book.
You can probably order them from India. Try abebooks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, Fundamentals of Physics is actually by B. N. Ivanov. Looking through the table of contents of abebooks.com, I see everything listed except waves and relativity, though they might be included under mechanics and electromagnetism. I'm ordering it and seeing how it is and let you guys know if the book is good and what level it is at.

Thanks for that. Actually, Yavorsky and Pinsky's "Fundamentals of Physics" does have an extensive section on relativity.

But you said that book is for high-schoolers. Would I be able to tackle problems in Krotov or Irodov after reading them? Is it analytic, not afraid to get into vector calculus and differential equations?

Well, that book is not for high-schoolers. But, I do read it, and I understand it very well.

It is not too analytic. It just explains the theory of the subject very well, including relativity, and it is quite technical. Quite a dry book. But highly recommendable.

To tackle problems in Krotov and Irodov, you'll have to go into some heavy-duty texts, to get hold of the theory strongly, and pick up a Maron for calculus.

Not for nothing is he considered to be the best. By the way, thanks for the link. I was on the lookout for something of this kind.

I have also found that the russian books are VERY clear . The clarity and precision of the
language is amazing. No american book comes close to that kind of language. Is this the cultural reason ? Is that how russians express themselves ? I am really interested to know the answer to this...

Pyrrhus said:
Piskunov is a bridge to Mathematical Analysis. It is an advanced calculus book. The cool thing about Piskunov is that it has chapters uncommon to other calculus book. Thus, Piskunov doesn't assume anything of its students, and do not cover topics just to cover them like Stewart.

I'm taking calculus next semester and my school uses stewart. Do you think Piskunov would be a good supplementary text? How about Spivak?

Also, I was wondering what I could do between now and the start of the next semester in late January to prepare for Calc? I am very bad at math right now :redface:

nickadams said:
I'm taking calculus next semester and my school uses stewart. Do you think Piskunov would be a good supplementary text? How about Spivak?

Also, I was wondering what I could do between now and the start of the next semester in late January to prepare for Calc? I am very bad at math right now :redface:

I'm afraid to discourage you, but Piskounov/Piskunov (spelling varies) is a difficult textbook. If you're having troubles with math now, I wouldn't recommend Piskounov.

If you want to improve your chances of doing well in Calculus, you should probably review some important concepts, such as:

• Functions: their definition, how to use them in modelling a real life situation.
  • Trigonometry: definitions of sin, cos, tan, sec, cossec, cotan. Their domain and range. Trigonometric identity.
  • Factoring, finding polynomial roots, quadratic equation, min max of parabolas.
  • Exponentials and logarithms.
  • Transforming functions (i.e. given the plot of f(x), find f(-x), f(x)+a, f(ax), af(x).
  • Geometry concepts, especially volume and area of simple geometric shapes.
  • Finding equations of lines, given: the slope and a point; two points, the perpendicular and a point; the parallel and a point

Algebra skills, essentially.

If when you begin taking Calculus, you notice that stuff is too easy for you, then I'd read Piskounov. It's definitely not for beginners, but if you put some effort on it, I'm sure you'll be able to do well in Calculus and read Piskounov.

I need to study waves and electromagnetism. Are there books by Russians that cover these topics extensively?

I have this book by Irodov. If you need, ask me

Dover has affordable books by many Russian big-shots. The two authors that come to mind are Kolmogorov and Shilov.

Outside of Dover, Arnold is a must read.

Hi I've read in this forum about this two problem books, Problems in Calculus of one Variable (I. Maron) and Problems in Mathematical Analysis (B.P. Demidovich). For those who have tackled this already, may I know what strength one has that the other does not have. What is the major difference in the treatment of the subject between Calculus and Mathematical Analysis.

I have the classic
Wladimir I. Smirnow, Lehrgang der höheren Mathematik
However I don't know whether there is an enlish edition, too.
For functional analysis,
Achieser, Glasman,
Theorie der linearen Operatoren I am Hilbertraum

Smirnov was translated into French and English, all 5 volumes and Akzieher and Glazman as well. Actually most of the physics and maths books in Russian have been translated into the 3 major languages of Western Europe.

Fomin - Multiple Integrals, Field Theory & Series

Takes off where Piskunov leaves off doing multiple integration, line integrals & surface integrals more rigorously, some differential geometry or space curves & surfaces, tensors, sequences & series of functions, Fourier analysis & improper integrals.