What books can I learn from the most?

In summary: I'm simple minded and the pictures and graphics are neat, but I had to UNlearn a ton of stuff after joining this forum.Zz. But you are selling yourself short. You are not "simple minded". You are just being misled by a lot of popular science books that are being marketed as something that they are not. It is VERY easy to get misled by these books. After all, most of them are written by professional science writers, not by scientists. They are trying to "sell" science, not to educate you properly. That's why I always take what they say with a grain of salt.Zz. I just want to add that if you are going to be an engineer, you ARE
Henry Menendez
Okay, so I'm currently a mechanical engineering major at San Jose State University, but I just want to become much more engaged with physics and mathematics. I do pretty good with calculus, math comes easy to me. I'm a first year student taking calculus 2. I was just wondering what books I can read to make me so much better at physics and math. I want to be able to attack any math problem at ease and be able to understand most topics of physics. I'm aware that it will take years of practice, but I just want to know what books I can read to do so. And I don't want them to be textbooks, I want to teach myself the old fashioned way. Disregarding money, I'd love a list of books I can read to make me better with these topics. Like I said before, I want to become a much better mathematician and know be close to a theoretical physicist. I know I want to be an engineer, but I just want to become the smartest person in capable of becoming.

Physics news on Phys.org
Henry Menendez said:
And I don't want them to be textbooks
That makes no sense to me. It is the PURPOSE of textbooks to be the best place to learn basic subjects (which is where you have to start, based on your comments). What did you have in mind?

I just want to become the smartest person in capable of becoming.
You are already the smartest person you are capable of so I assume you mean you want to become the most knowledgeable person you are capable of.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. You are supposed to do an intro post in the intro section.

Hmm... That wasn't a very nice introduction. Welcome Henry! Can I recommend 'Road to Reality' by Roger Penrose as one you should definitely read.

fando1234 said:
Hmm... That wasn't a very nice introduction.
I agree, so Henry (@Henry Menendez) don't be put off by me. I'm one of the few grumpy folks here. :smile:

fando1234 said:
Hmm... That wasn't a very nice introduction. Welcome Henry! Can I recommend 'Road to Reality' by Roger Penrose as one you should definitely read.

Unfortunately, what you recommended is a pop-science book. While it can make for an interesting reading, the OP is looking for a book to study physics.

To the OP: since you are enrolled at a university, look at what the students in intro physics courses are using as their textbooks. That should be a good start since those books can be found at the bookstores, or as a used book. Anything comparable to Halliday/Resnick is usually the level that intro physics courses at the college level will use.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Unfortunately, what you recommended is a pop-science book. While it can make for an interesting reading, the OP is looking for a book to study physics.
This is definitely not a book to study from. Because it's way too hardcore for someone who is not already familiar with the material covered in this book on mathematical physics pretending to be a pop science.

fando1234 said:
I completely apologize if I offended anyone, I'm really new to this and I don't know how it works. What do you mean as to an introduction? I'm supposed to do an intro post? @phinds

Henry Menendez said:
I completely apologize if I offended anyone, I'm really new to this and I don't know how it works. What do you mean as to an introduction? I'm supposed to do an intro post? @phinds

The post you quoted was not directed at you.

Furthermore, despite what you think you want, a textbook IS the best source for what you wish to accomplish.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:

Zz.
Makes total sense now, I'm sorry for the confusion. I'm completely new to this and I truly apologize.

ZapperZ said:

Furthermore, despite what you think you want, a textbook IS the best source for what you wish to accomplish.

Zz.
As to what you were saying before about the physics students, I'm taking a physics course next semester for engineering, so I can acquire a textbook from that. But I was just curious if there is anything besides textbooks that I can teach myself from. The reason why I said no textbooks is because I knew I was going to look over the textbooks I'm going to be buying for my future physics classes. @ZapperZ In all honesty, even though I'm pursuing to become an engineer, I want to become near to becoming a theoretical physicist. I'm also going to be minoring in physics. I just want to become a lot more knowledgeable towards physics and acquire the most I can. I'm willing to put in the years of practice and effort.

Everyone has different learning styles. The Feynman Lectures was revelatory for me.

Dr. Courtney said:
Everyone has different learning styles. The Feynman Lectures was revelatory for me.
I've heard a lot from these textbooks from some research I've been doing. I'm really going to consider it.

Henry Menendez said:
But I was just curious if there is anything besides textbooks that I can teach myself from. The reason why I said no textbooks is because I knew I was going to look over the textbooks I'm going to be buying for my future physics classes.
Well, pop-science books and TV shows can be very entertaining and can give you some broad info about what's happening in physics but they get so much wrong that you really can't use them to "learn science". I love them myself because I'm simple minded and the pictures and graphics are neat, but I had to UNlearn a ton of stuff after joining this forum.

phinds said:
Well, pop-science books and TV shows can be very entertaining and can give you some broad info about what's happening in physics but they get so much wrong that you really can't use them to "learn science". I love them myself because I'm simple minded and the pictures and graphics are neat, but I had to UNlearn a ton of stuff after joining this forum.

I would not be so negative. Learning science from popular shows and book (and I'll add Wikipedia) requires care and discretion, but it can be done. These things bring lots of interest and attention. I personally like to dig a bit deeper and not be overly convinced until I investigate multiple perspectives and multiple sources. I encourage my students to do the same. It can be very productive at times. Just take stuff with a grain of salt and be skeptical at first. But many times my skepticism is resolved in favor of the view first presented in pop sci books, shows, and wikis.

Henry Menendez said:
I've heard a lot from these textbooks from some research I've been doing. I'm really going to consider it.

Just in case you don't know this already, you can read them for free on line here: http://www.feynmanlectures.info/
(click on the "Read" link in the menu on the left side)

Do a minor in math

Bipolar Demon said:
Do a minor in math
Dear BD, did you read the OP at all ?

Likes Logical Dog
BvU said:

BvU said:
yes sorry xD
I use these books, they are good *especially the exercises*:
what is mathematics? R. Courant.
Schaums outlines of logic.
Book of proof. free link here: http://www.people.vcu.edu/~rhammack/BookOfProof/
How to prove it.
How to study for a mathematics degree (lol). lara alcock
How to think about analysis. lara alcock.
Schaums outline of computer architecture.
A level physics book.
A level maths, mechanics modules books.
Introduction to mathematical philosophy, Bertrand Russell.
Elias zakons lecture notes. they are free and can be found here: http://www.trillia.com/products.html
Discrete mathematics normal L biggs.
Logic for dummies. Mark Z.

1. What makes a book a valuable source of learning?

A valuable source of learning is a book that presents accurate and reliable information on a subject, is well-researched and well-written, and provides clear and logical explanations. It should also have a well-organized structure and include relevant examples and illustrations to aid in understanding.

2. Can I learn from any type of book?

Yes, you can learn from any type of book. While some books may be more informative and educational than others, every book has something to offer and can provide valuable insights and knowledge on different topics. It is important to choose books that align with your learning goals and interests.

3. Are there specific genres of books that are better for learning?

There is no one specific genre of book that is better for learning. However, non-fiction books, such as textbooks, scientific journals, and biographies, tend to be more informative and educational than fiction books. That being said, fiction books can also provide valuable lessons and insights into human behavior and emotions.

4. How can I determine if a book is reliable for learning?

To determine if a book is reliable for learning, you should consider the author's credentials, the publication date, and the publisher. Look for books written by experts in the field, published by reputable publishers, and that have been recently updated to ensure the information is current and accurate. You can also check for references and sources cited within the book to further verify its reliability.

5. Is it better to read physical books or e-books for learning?

Both physical books and e-books can be effective for learning. It ultimately depends on personal preference and what works best for you. Some people may prefer the tactile experience of reading a physical book, while others may find e-books more convenient and portable. The most important factor is the content and quality of the book, not the format.