Space Charge width proof using Algebra

In summary, the conversation discusses using the equations NaXpo=NdXno and Xpo=\sqrt{(2\epsilon\phi/qNa)(Nd/(Nd+Na)} and Xno=\sqrt{(2\epsilon\phi/qNd)(Na/(Nd+Na)} to prove Xdo=Xdo+Xno=\sqrt{(2\epsilon\phi/q)((1/Nd)+(1/Na))}. The attempt at a solution involves squaring both sides and combining like terms, but the next steps are unclear.
cnafets

Homework Statement

Use
NaXpo=NdXno
Xpo=[tex]\sqrt{(2\epsilon\phi/qNa)(Nd/(Nd+Na)}[/tex]
Xno=[tex]\sqrt{(2\epsilon\phi/qNd)(Na/(Nd+Na)}[/tex]
to prove

Xdo=Xdo+Xno=[tex]\sqrt{(2\epsilon\phi/q)((1/Nd)+(1/Na))}[/tex]

Homework Equations

(1/Na)+(1/Nd)= (Na+Nd)/(Na)(Nd)

The Attempt at a Solution

I get stuck at:
X2do=[tex](2\epsilon\phi/q(Nd+Na))((Nd/Na)+(Na/Nd))[/tex]
I squared both sides to get rid of the sqrt temporarily, I'll take the sqrt again at the end.
Then I combined like terms and I don't know where to go after that. Someone help :(

Physics news on Phys.org
cnafets said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I get stuck at:
X2do=[tex](2\epsilon\phi/q(Nd+Na))((Nd/Na)+(Na/Nd))[/tex]
I squared both sides to get rid of the sqrt temporarily, I'll take the sqrt again at the end.
Then I combined like terms and I don't know where to go after that. Someone help :(

EDIT:
Now I get

Xdo= [tex]{\sqrt{2\epsilon_{s}\phi_{B}/q}\left( \sqrt{\stackrel{N_{d}}{N_{a}(N_{a}+N_{d})}}+\sqrt{\stackrel{N_{a}}{N_{a}(N_{a}+N_{d})}}\right)[/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Space Charge width proof using Algebra

1. What is space charge width?

Space charge width refers to the region around a charged particle where the electric field is significantly affected by the presence of the charge. It is also known as the Debye length.

2. How is space charge width measured?

The space charge width can be determined using mathematical equations that take into account the charge of the particle, the permittivity of the medium, and the temperature. It can also be measured experimentally using techniques such as electrostatic force microscopy.

3. Why is algebra used to prove space charge width?

Algebra is used to prove the existence of space charge width because it allows for the manipulation of equations and variables to show a relationship between the electric field and the distance from the charged particle. This helps to demonstrate the concept of space charge width in a more precise and quantitative manner.

4. What is the significance of proving space charge width?

Proving space charge width is important in understanding the behavior of charged particles in a medium and how they interact with each other. It is also crucial in various fields such as plasma physics, semiconductor devices, and electrochemistry.

5. Can space charge width be altered?

Yes, space charge width can be altered by changing the charge of the particle or the properties of the medium in which it is located. It can also be influenced by external factors such as temperature and electric fields.