Spacetime Invariance and Lorentz Equations

In summary, the conversation is about trying to prove that s^2 = s'^2 from the Lorentz equations. The person has tried different algebraic approaches but ends up with a dilemma - the fact that spacetime is not invariant and depends on gamma. They are looking for help and wondering what the problem could be.
LUphysics

Homework Statement

So, I am working on a question that requires me to prove that s^2 = s'^2 from the Lorentz equations. It seemed like it'd be trivial... and then I ended up here a few hours later, not willing to waste any more time.

Homework Equations

By definition: s^2 = x^2 - (ct)^2 & s'^2 = x'^2 - (ct')^2
And the Lorentz equations are x' = y(x - vt) & t' = y(t - vx/(c^2) ) --> y = gamma for the lazy man

The Attempt at a Solution

So I followed this line of algebra:
Start with: s'^2 = x'^2 - (ct')^2
Sub in Lorentz Equations: = [y(x - vt)]^2 - c^2*[y(t - vx/(c^2) )]^2
Factor out y and Expand Brackets: = y^2 { [x^2 - 2xvt + (vt)^2] - c^2*[t^2 -2xvt/c^2 + ((vx)^2)/(c^4))] }
Multiply in -c^2 over on the right: = y^2 [x^2 - 2xvt + (vt)^2 -(ct)^2 + 2xvt - (v^2*x^2)/(c^2)]
Eliminate the 2xvt terms: = y^2 [x^2 + (vt)^2 -(ct)^2 - (v^2*x^2)/(c^2)]
Now, t = x/c, so by applying this to the rightmost term: = y^2 [x^2 + (vt)^2 -(ct)^2 - (vt)^2]
Eliminate the (vt)^2 terms: = y^2 [x^2 - (ct)^2]
And recall that s^2 = x^2 - (ct)^2: Therefore: ==> s'^2 = y^2[s^2]

There's my dilemma. This would mean spacetime is NOT invariant, since it depends on gamma. I'm not quite prepared to call the people who invented this liars, or to say I'm better at math than them... but I thought my algebra was pretty good and it led me to this. So... what's the problem?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi LUphysics! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a gamma: γ :wink:)

Sorry, but this is almost unreadable :redface:

can you type it again, using the X2 tag just above the Reply box? :smile:

I understand your frustration with this problem. However, it is important to remember that scientific concepts, such as spacetime invariance and Lorentz equations, are not always easy to understand or prove. It takes time and effort to fully grasp and apply these concepts.

In this case, it is important to remember that the Lorentz equations are derived from the fundamental principles of special relativity, which include the constancy of the speed of light and the equivalence of all inertial reference frames. These principles have been extensively tested and have been found to accurately describe the behavior of objects in our universe.

Therefore, while it may seem like spacetime is not invariant in this specific case, it is important to remember that the Lorentz equations are only one way of expressing the relationship between space and time in special relativity. There are other forms of the equations that may not involve gamma, but they still ultimately lead to the same conclusions.

In conclusion, it is important to continue exploring and learning about these concepts, and to not get discouraged by seemingly contradictory results. Your hard work and determination will ultimately lead to a deeper understanding of spacetime and its invariance.

1. What is spacetime invariance?

Spacetime invariance is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the laws of physics should remain the same regardless of the observer's frame of reference or the location and orientation of the coordinate system used to measure physical quantities.

2. What are Lorentz equations?

Lorentz equations are a set of mathematical equations that describe the relationship between space and time in Einstein's theory of special relativity. These equations allow us to calculate how measurements of time and space change for different observers moving at different speeds.

3. Why are Lorentz equations important?

Lorentz equations are important because they help us understand the effects of time dilation and length contraction, which are consequences of special relativity. These equations also form the basis of our understanding of the relationship between energy and mass, as described by Einstein's famous equation, E=mc².

4. How do Lorentz equations impact our understanding of the universe?

Lorentz equations have had a profound impact on our understanding of the universe. They have allowed us to accurately predict and explain various phenomena, such as the behavior of particles at high speeds, the bending of light by massive objects, and the existence of black holes. They have also fundamentally changed our understanding of space and time, showing that they are not absolute but are instead relative to the observer's frame of reference.

5. Can Lorentz equations be applied to everyday life?

Yes, Lorentz equations have practical applications in everyday life. For example, they are used in the design of particle accelerators, GPS systems, and other technologies that rely on accurate measurements of time and space. They also help us understand and account for the effects of relativity in various aspects of our daily lives, such as the GPS satellites in orbit around the Earth needing to account for the effects of relativity to accurately determine our position on the planet.