1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that s^2=(s')^2 using the Lorentz Transformation

1. Aug 28, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data I am learning special relativity and we came across the invariant quantity s = x2 - (ct)2. Our professor wants us to prove it. I admit that this is a proof and belongs in the mathematics section but I didn't see an Algebra section and this is most easily identified by those learning special relativity.

The assignment simply states

"Prove s2 = s'2"

2. Relevant equations
    s2= x2-(ct)2

[itex]\gamma[/itex]=[1-([itex]\frac{v}{c}[/itex])2]-1/2

x' = [itex]\gamma[/itex](x-vt)

t' = [itex]\gamma[/itex](t-(vx/c2)

3. The attempt at a solution

My textbook is telling me in one sentence that if we apply the lorentz transformation to x and t then s2 = s'2.....so I did that...

I choose to start with s'2 = x'2-(ct')2

Applying the lorentz transformation to x' and t' our equation becomes...

s'2 = ([itex]\gamma[/itex](x-vt))2-(c([itex]\gamma[/itex](t-(vx/c2))2

Expanding what we have takes us to...

s'2 = ([itex]\gamma[/itex]2(x2-2vt+(vt)2)-(c2[itex]\gamma[/itex]2(t2)-2(v/c2)x+(v2/c4)x2))

If I combine some terms...

s'2 = [itex]\gamma[/itex]2[x2(1-(v2/c4)+t2(v-1)+2v((x/c2)-t)]

From here I tried a couple of different things on scratch paper but I couldn't see particular direction that would simplify it all down. Am I just not being patient enough and not seeing that it gets worse before it gets better?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2014 #2
    You made a bunch of algebra errors. The last equation you had that was correct was: s'2 = x'2-(ct')2

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted