SpaceX Crew Dragon Launch Try #2

• SpaceX
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Featured

Summary:

Watch history unfold on Saturday, May 30, as NASA and SpaceX launch astronauts Robert Behnken and Douglas Hurley to the International Space Station.

Main Question or Discussion Point

Here we go again! Set for 3:22PM EST. Lots of analysis in this live video already!

Likes Motore, DennisN, JD_PM and 4 others

Answers and Replies

Very exciting! We watched the successful launch live as a family. Everyone was into it, even my four-year-old

Likes sysprog, hutchphd, JD_PM and 3 others
anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
It was almost as exciting as watching the lift-off of Alan Shepard on Freedom 7. (Uh Oh, I just dated myself.)

• Haha
Likes Dale
Summary:: Watch history unfold on Saturday, May 30, as NASA and SpaceX launch astronauts Robert Behnken and Douglas Hurley to the International Space Station.

Here we go again! Set for 3:22PM EST. Lots of analysis in this live video already!

Brought tears to my eyes. Loved every second.

Likes Klystron and Dale
etotheipi
Gold Member
2019 Award
The whole design is so unbelievably cool. If this doesn't scream Star Trek then I don't know what does...:

1590876170736.png

Also, SpaceX have made a neat little Dragon to ISS docking simulator where you can try using the actual controls Bob and Doug will be using to dock tomorrow! I'd recommend reading the instructions first though, since it's pretty fiddly!

Likes Dale, Klystron and Greg Bernhardt
We are planning on watching the docking too. Probably won’t be as exciting as the launch, but the whole family is interested

Last edited:
Likes anorlunda
Docking was successful, they just opened the hatch to the ISS.

After 9 years the US has independent access to Earth orbit and the ISS again.

The first private company to fly cargo to the ISS also became the first private company to launch people to the ISS (and people to orbit in general).

Likes anorlunda
gleem
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Well, apparently you don't just dock, pop the hatch and jump out, do you?

Likes Dale
Yes, it definitely is slower than getting off a plane.

My kids color commentary was pretty amusing though. The purple sparkly dinosaur was a favorite

These guys sure are methodical.
Congratulations to SpaceX and NASA.

Well, apparently you don't just dock, pop the hatch and jump out, do you?
The tests of Dragon didn't end with docking. Future missions should be faster.

I still find the reusable boosters of SpaceX and Blue Origins to be totally cool. As a kid watching Tom Corbett and the Space Cadets (I’m dating myself too) space ships landed on their tails. That’s the way it was supposed to be. And then we started dumping them in the ocean. It took some new(old) thinking to say, “Maybe we could land the thing instead of scrapping it?” It took some tech leaps with main engines that could throttle and restart, telemetry and radar that could guide to a pinpoint, landing legs that worked, etc., but they did it saving billions$$$. As to the design, I would expect nothing less from Musk. My daughter has a Tesla 3. It looks the same inside as the Dragon. Speaking of Tesla, nobody thought that would pan out either. Guess they were wrong. So where are we re: Hyperloop?

And they’re everywhere in Louisville too. My daughter’s car is going on two years old and has yet to incur a single repair or preventative maintenance action. At some point old Tesla’s will need some service I suppose.