1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Special Relativity 2-D Collision Problem

1. Apr 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is my first time posting here, so please let me know if I do not have the proper format.

A particle of mass M is at rest in the laboratory when it decays into three identical particles, each of mass m. Two of the particles have velocities and directions as shown (one travels in the -x direction with a speed of 4c/5 and another travels in the -y direction with a speed of 3c/5. Calculate the direction and speed of the third particle (shown on the diagram moving with +x and +y components at some angle above the x axis) and find the ratio M/m.

I'm not sure (1) if the way I solved for v and the ratio is correct and (2) how to find the direction of the third particle. I originally solved it by saying the components of momentum are equal, but I don't think that would be correct because it is relativistic. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Relevant equations

ρ = mv[itex]\gamma[/itex]
    E = mc2[itex]\gamma[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

By conservation of momentum, ρi = ρf, so:
    0 = (3/4)mc + (4/3)mc + v3[itex]\gamma[/itex]3
    v3[itex]\gamma[/itex]3 = -(3/4)c - (4/3)c

After plugging in gamma to solve for v3:
    v/sqrt(1-v2/c2) = -(25/12)c
    v = +/- sqrt(c2/((144/625) + 1))
    v = 0.9c

By conservation of energy, Ei = Ef, so:
    Mc2 = (5/4)mc2 + (5/3)mc2 + 2.294mc2 where 2.294 is [itex]\gamma[/itex]3 (found using v solved for above)

so M = 5.21m
    M/m = 5.21

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2012 #2
    Never mind, I think I got the answer. The components of relativistic momentum are just equal.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook