Special Relativity 2-D Collision Problem

In summary, a particle of mass M at rest in the laboratory decays into three identical particles, each of mass m. Two of the particles have velocities in the -x and -y directions, and the third particle has a velocity with components in the +x and +y directions at some angle above the x-axis. By using the conservation of momentum and energy equations, the direction and speed of the third particle can be calculated, and the ratio of M/m can be found. The components of the relativistic momentum of the third particle are equal, and the ratio of M/m is 5.21.
wuphys

Homework Statement

This is my first time posting here, so please let me know if I do not have the proper format.

A particle of mass M is at rest in the laboratory when it decays into three identical particles, each of mass m. Two of the particles have velocities and directions as shown (one travels in the -x direction with a speed of 4c/5 and another travels in the -y direction with a speed of 3c/5. Calculate the direction and speed of the third particle (shown on the diagram moving with +x and +y components at some angle above the x axis) and find the ratio M/m.

I'm not sure (1) if the way I solved for v and the ratio is correct and (2) how to find the direction of the third particle. I originally solved it by saying the components of momentum are equal, but I don't think that would be correct because it is relativistic. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Homework Equations

ρ = mv[itex]\gamma[/itex]
E = mc2[itex]\gamma[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

By conservation of momentum, ρi = ρf, so:
0 = (3/4)mc + (4/3)mc + v3[itex]\gamma[/itex]3
v3[itex]\gamma[/itex]3 = -(3/4)c - (4/3)c

After plugging in gamma to solve for v3:
v/sqrt(1-v2/c2) = -(25/12)c
v = +/- sqrt(c2/((144/625) + 1))
v = 0.9c

By conservation of energy, Ei = Ef, so:
Mc2 = (5/4)mc2 + (5/3)mc2 + 2.294mc2 where 2.294 is [itex]\gamma[/itex]3 (found using v solved for above)

so M = 5.21m
M/m = 5.21

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, I think I got the answer. The components of relativistic momentum are just equal.

1. What is the concept of "Special Relativity" in 2-D collision problems?

Special Relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains how objects move in relation to each other at high speeds, close to the speed of light. In 2-D collision problems, it is used to calculate the velocities and energies of objects before and after a collision.

2. How does the concept of time dilation apply to 2-D collision problems in Special Relativity?

Time dilation, a key concept in Special Relativity, states that time passes slower for objects moving at high speeds. In 2-D collision problems, this means that the time interval between the initial and final collision is longer for an observer outside the system compared to an observer moving with one of the colliding objects.

3. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions in 2-D Special Relativity problems?

In elastic collisions, both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved. This means that the total momentum and total kinetic energy of the system before and after the collision are the same. In inelastic collisions, only momentum is conserved, while kinetic energy is not. This is due to the loss of energy in the form of heat, sound, or deformation of the objects involved in the collision.

4. How do you calculate the velocities of objects in a 2-D collision problem using Special Relativity?

To calculate the velocities of objects in a 2-D collision problem using Special Relativity, you will need to use the Lorentz transformation equations. These equations take into account the speed of the objects, their masses, and the angle of the collision to calculate the final velocities.

5. What are some real-world applications of 2-D collision problems and Special Relativity?

2-D collision problems and Special Relativity have many real-world applications, including particle accelerators, space travel, and nuclear reactions. By understanding the principles of Special Relativity, scientists and engineers can accurately predict and design systems involving high-speed collisions. Additionally, the concept of time dilation has also been confirmed in many experiments, further validating this theory.