Special relativity:2 ships pass eachother

• Thread starter bfusco
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ships
In summary, the conversation discusses the relative speed of two spaceships, A and B, traveling towards each other. The person in ship A observes that it takes 5x10-7s for the tip of ship B to pass his ship. The solution involves using Lorentz transformations to calculate the apparent velocity of the system u' and the time it takes for a person on ship B to observe their ship passing ship A. To solve the first part, relativity is not needed and it is possible to find B's velocity in A's frame using basic measurements. For the second part, relativity is necessary and the solution involves finding the length of A in B's frame and using that to calculate the time it takes for
bfusco

Homework Statement

Two space ships A (90m long) and B (200m long) travel towards each other. The person in ship A observes that it takes 5x10-7s for the tip of ship B to pass his ship. What’s the relative speed of the two ships? How long does a person sitting at the tip of ship B observe for his ship to pass ship A?

The Attempt at a Solution

at the moment in class we are on the topic of Lorentz transformations. so i am going to assume that this problem is to be done in that way.

i am having a hard time in general setting up any equations to these word problems as this new idea of reference frames is confusing me in terms of writing the equations.

so what i got so far is this (with help from my textbook, not really from any understanding of my own): i am going to start by indicating that spaceship A will be the fixed system K, and spaceship B be will be the moving system K'. since i am given Δt i figure that i would have to solve for the apparent velocity of the system u'. u'=dx'/dt', using the lorentz transformation i plug in dρ(x-vt)/dρ(t-vx/c^2) ρ=1/sq.rt.(q-(v/c)^2) and after some algebra i get u'=u-v/1-vx/c^2).

the time it takes for person sitting at the tip of ship B observe his ship to pass ship A I am going to call Δt'=t2'-t1'. using the lorentz transformation i get ρ(t2-vx2/c^2)-ρ(t1-vx1/c^2) and after some algebra i got ρ[(t2-t1) - (v/c^2)(x2-x1)]. t2-t1=Δt=5 x 10^-7s and x2-x1=90m (i think), and i would think i answered the question, but as i said before i kinda just got it from the textbook if someone could help explain some of this to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
To solve the first part, you don't need relativity. You know that in A's reference frame a particular point on B takes a given time to travel a given distance. From that it is trivial to find B's velocity in A's frame.

For the second part, you do need relativity. Use the velocity calculated above, find the length of A in B's frame, and find the time from that.

The first part boils down to the following question: If you are at rest in the K frame of reference, how do you measure the relative velocity of the K' frame of reference relative to your own frame of reference if the only measurement tools available to you are meter sticks and synchronized clocks? Well you focus on a specific point x'=constant in the K' frame of reference, and record the time t that this material point passes various locations x in your frame of reference. You then plot a graph of x versus t, and fit a straight line to the data. The relative velocity is slope of this line. That is,
[tex]v=(\frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t})_{x'=const.}[/tex]
Or, in terms of the symbology of partial derivatives,[tex]v=(\frac{\partial x}{\partial t})_{x'}[/tex]
In the case of your problem, the point you are focusing upon is the tip of ship B, and you are measuring the time interval between when the tip is at x = 0 and x = 90 m.

Chet

1. What is the concept of "Special Relativity"?

Special Relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein in 1905 to explain the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all non-accelerating observers and that the speed of light in a vacuum is constant for all observers.

2. How does Special Relativity apply to two ships passing each other?

When two ships pass each other, they are both moving at different speeds and have different frames of reference. According to Special Relativity, there is no absolute frame of reference, so both ships can be considered as stationary while the other is moving. This means that the observers on each ship will measure time and distance differently, but the speed of light will remain constant for both.

3. How does time dilation occur in Special Relativity?

Time dilation is the phenomenon where time appears to pass slower for objects moving at high speeds. In Special Relativity, this occurs because the faster an object moves, the more it warps space and time around it, causing time to slow down. This is known as the time dilation effect and has been proven through various experiments.

4. Are there any practical applications of Special Relativity?

Yes, Special Relativity has many practical applications, such as GPS systems. GPS satellites are moving at high speeds in orbit around the Earth, which causes time dilation. Without taking this into account, the GPS system would not be accurate. Other applications include particle accelerators, nuclear reactors, and space travel.

5. Is Special Relativity the same as General Relativity?

No, Special Relativity and General Relativity are two different theories. While Special Relativity deals with the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravity, General Relativity includes the effects of gravity and explains the curvature of space-time. Both theories are essential for understanding the universe and have been proven to be accurate through various experiments.