1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Special Relativity- Acceleration without Linear Algebra

1. Jul 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have been trying for a month to derive a relationship between the acceleration of a particle in a coordinate system at rest and one moving at some velocity. I have not taken Linear Algebra yet, so I can't do anything with matrices (as I often see relativity presented). I am trying to derive an acceleration without using four-vectors or matrices or any Linear Algebra. The problem is that I keep getting equations that seem unreasonably complicated. a.) Is it possible to derive an acceleration in special relativity using only underclassman math, and b.) How do I go about doing it?

2. Relevant equations

Lorentz transformation in one spacial and one time dimension, where τ is the time coordinate and ζ is the position coordinate for the moving system :

§ 1.1

dx = γ (dζ + vdτ)​

§ 1.2

dt = γ (dτ + v/c2 dζ )​

Lorentz velocity transformation then equals dx/dt, ==>

§ 2.1

dx/dt = (dζ/dτ + v )/(1 + v/c2 dζ/dτ)​

*I actually started with these, and then took the differentials:

x = γ (ζ + vτ)

t = γ (τ + v/c2 ζ )

3. The attempt at a solution

In getting the velocity transformation, I just took the differentials of the x to ζ and t to τ transformation, and then divided them. This doesn't seem to work for an acceleration though (and I think it CAN'T work for it), but that is what I've tried. An acceleration can be written as d2x/dt2, so I am assuming that can be read as "the differential of the differential of x DIVIDED BY the differential of time squared." If that is the case, I have the right idea but the wrong mathematical technique. I am getting something that appears to be unreasonably complex. Here is what I've been doing:

Differentials of § 1.1:

d(dx) = d [γ (dζ + vdτ)]

d2x = dγ (dζ + vdτ) + γ (d2ζ + dvdτ + vd2τ) * by product rule

Right here is where I start to get problems. I have no idea what I am supposed to do with vd2τ, because I have never seen an acceleration with a " d2t" in it.

The next problem I have is that when I divide the differential of the displacement equation with the square of the time equation I cannot simplify it in any meaningful way (at least to my eyes). I will carry out that operation so maybe someone can help.

dt2 = [γ (dτ + v/c2 dζ] [γ (dτ + v/c2 dζ] ==>

dt2 = γ22 + 2γv/c2dτdζ + γ2v2/c42

So, when I divide d2x by dt2, I get the following, and have NO idea where to go from there (assuming I haven't messed up at the very beginning)

d2x/dt2 = { dγ (dζ + vdτ) + γ (d2ζ + dvdτ + vd2τ)}/ { γ22 + 2γv/c2dτdζ + γ2v2/c42 }

d2x/dt2 = { γ3vdv/c2 (dζ + vdτ) + γ (d2ζ + dvdτ + vd2τ)}/ { γ22 + 2γv/c2dτdζ + γ2v2/c42 }

** I am assuming that dγ = d [ (1- v2/c2)-1/2]

= (-1/2)(1- v2/c2)-3/2 (-2vdv/c2)

= vdv/c2 * (1- v2/c2)-3/2

= γ3vdv/c2

Thanks to anyone who tries to help!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2008 #2
    Also, was this the correct place for this question? I can imagine where it might be at the beginning of upper classmen physics.
  4. Jul 13, 2008 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You're on the right track. I'm getting a headache from trying to follow your notation, so I'll use my own.

Start with the LT in differential form:

[tex]dx' = \gamma(dx - v dt)[/tex]

[tex]dt' = \gamma(dt - v dx/c^2)[/tex]

To get the velocity transformation (at least in one dimension), just calculate u' = dx'/dt'.

Once you get the velocity transformation, just repeat the process. Write the transformation in differential form (du' = etc.) and calculate a' = du'/dt'.

Here's a trick that might prove helpful:

[tex]dt' = \gamma(dt - v dx/c^2) = \gamma(dt - v u dt/c^2) = \gamma dt (1 - uv/c^2)[/tex]

Good luck!
  5. Jul 14, 2008 #4
    Okay, I used your hint, but I did some other things too. Now, I made three assumptions, one of which is an assumption about mathematical technique (not sure if what I did was a "legal move"), and two were assumptions about the coordinate systems. I have reason to believe that what I did was correct, because I was able to derive Einstein's kinetic energy equation. However, I once derived the Lorentz factor incorrectly, even though I got the right answer, so I wouldn't be surprised if I just got lucky. I tried not to skip any steps, which makes it a lot longer, but I'm hoping that will help you see where I made mistakes. Anyway, please tell me if this is getting closer, or correct. Thanks!

Assumption 1

The first assumption is this: Because the Lorentz transformation is given by x' = γ (x - vt), and because the differential form of that transformation is dx' = γ (dx - vdt), I reason that you treat the v in gamma and the v in the transformation as constants. If you DIDN'T treat them as constants, then you'd have to use the product rule and the chain rule to take the differential of x' = γ (x - vt), and you'd end up with something more complex. I believe I have made the correct assumption here.

From there, to derive an acceleration relationship I started with the velocity transformation-

u' = (u - v)/( 1 - uv/c2 )

and followed the steps you outlined

Assumption 2(mathematical technique assumption)

Then I tried to find du'. This is where I made a mathematical assumption. I assumed that when taking the differential, I only had to "distribute" the "d" to the numerator of the fraction. However, because I am treating all v's as constant, dv = 0, and I get the following:

du' = du/ (1- uv/c2 )

I then divided that by dt', which gave:

du'/dt' = du*1/ (1- uv/c2 ) * 1/γdt (1- uv/c2 )

Assumption 3

There exists a situation in which u = v (for example, say that the particle is at rest in one of the two moving frames of reference). Therefore, (1- uv/c2 ) = (1-v2/c2) = γ-2. So, if I substitute that in, I get the following:

du'/dt' = du/dt/γγ-2γ-2 = γ3du/dt

I believe that the above is the acceleration relationship, at least for some special cases.

Now, the reason I think this is right: From this I derive E = mc2 (γ - 1)

Work, W, is given by the integral of force over some displacement, right? So,

mdu'/dt' dx' = 3du/dt dx

from 0 to v.

Dealing with the du/dt integral: For slow speeds, m is constant, so

W = mγ3du/dt dx

next was:

W = mγ3 d2x/dt2 * dx

W = mγ3 d2x/dt * dx/dt

W = mγ3 dv * v

W = mγ3 vdv

Plugging in gamma gives:

W = m(1 - v2/c2)-3/2 vdv

using substitution, u = 1 - v2/c2 ==> -1/2c2du = vdv

which means that:

W = -1/2mc2u-3/2 du

W = -1/2mc2 (-2u-1/2)

W = mc2 [√(1 - v2/c2) ]

from 0 to v, which gives:

W = mc2 [√(1 - v2/c2) - √(1 - 02/c2)]

W = mc2 [√(1 - v2/c2) - (1)]

Which, FINALLY, is Einstein's kinetic energy equation,

W = E = mc2 (γ - 1)

So, the questions are 1.) Did I derive the correct acceleration relationship?

du'/dt' =γ3du/dt

and 2.) Did I derive the kinetic energy relationship correctly?

Or did I just get lucky?

Anyway, thanks a TON if you are patient enough to get through all this! I really do appreciate it.
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?