Coordinate Transformation in Special Relativity with Linear Algebra Part A

In summary, the conversation involves finding the non-relativistic transformation between two inertial frames, S and S', that are boosted with speed v along its x'-axis, as shown in the figure. The solution involves introducing a third frame, S'', which is stationary and rotated with regard to S, in order to find the correct transformation matrices. Some confusion arises from mixing up the rotation of an object and rotation of a frame, but the correct transformation can be deduced by considering the stationary frame S'' and applying the Lorentz transformation.
zellwwf

Homework Statement

In the figure, let S be an inertial frame and let S'
be another frame that is
boosted with speed v along its x'-axis w.r.t. S, as shown. The frames are pictured
at time t = t0 = 0:
A) Find the Non-relativistic transformation (Galilean Transformation) between the two frames

Homework Equations

- Basic transformation in Linear Algebra:
Ax = x'
v = dx/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I did forget the v = dx/dt part in A, but i think it is merely a change of notation that is all,
for example, instead of writing v i will write de/dt.

The First attachment is the Figure you need to look at, the second attachment is my attempted solution as a pdf, i really want to learn Physics Forum, and i don't want the "answers" i want to see if i am correct or not, if not, just point where i went wrong and give a little hint.
Thank you

Attachments

• Figure1.jpg
    Figure1.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 390
  • Attempted Solution.pdf
    175.1 KB · Views: 251
Physics news on Phys.org
The basic idea is correct, but it seems there is some confusion of velocity and position in the solution. I suggest that you introduce frame S'', which is rotated with regard to S but is stationary. Then find transformations between S and S'' and S' and S'', and combine them.

I already done a stationary rotation. I will try it again and post.

Ok dear forum users and @voko:
i have done in in three parts:
- Origins overlap and just a mere rotation
- fixed distance and rotation
- variable distance and rotation

can you check all three? probably takes around 2-5 mins. No final answers, just tell me where i went wrong. if not, say that i am correct (give me a cookie!)

umm, this is all Part A of a qeustion that well, when you see part A - Variable Distance i need to transform it relativisticlly.
I have no idea how to approach that (i used galilean transformation on all 3, can you give me a "solid" hint on how to approach with with lorenz transformation?)

Check if my answers are correct, if they are, i will post the next question, solve it and come back here to check answers.

thank you physicsforums

ps: I've redone what you said i should do voko, i did them all

Attachments

• Rotation with origins = 0.pdf
    106.6 KB · Views: 212
  • Rot with Fixed Dist.pdf
    173.8 KB · Views: 234
  • Rot With variable Distance.pdf
    286.9 KB · Views: 227
There are two kinds of rotation: rotation of an object in a fixed frame, and rotation of the frame with a fixed object. They have similar rotation matrices; in fact, one is the inverse of the other. Your matrix is that of object rotation, while you need one for frame rotation.

Here is how you can deduce the correct matrix easily: let's say the object is at (X, Y). X = R cos α, Y = R sin α, where R is the distance to the object and α is its polar angle. In a frame rotated by angle θ with respect to xy, the distance to the object does not change, but the polar angle is (α - θ), so X' = R cos (α - θ), Y' = R sin (α - θ). Using trigonometric identities, you should get X' = X cos θ + Y sin θ, Y' = X sin θ - Y cos θ.

I am not sure why you are considering rotation with fixed translation, it does not really help you here.

Transformation to a rotated frame moving with constant velocity v along its X' axis is best done by considering the stationary frame S'', whose origin O' = O, and which is rotated by the same angle. Then (X'', Y'') = rot(X, Y), where rot is the matrix discussed above. (X', Y', T') = (LorentzX(X'', t, v), Y'', LorentzT(X'', t, v)).

thank you for the help, i will look into the "frame rot" vs "object rot", and i think i understood the matrix:
_ cos(a) sin(a)
|
|_sin(a) -cos(a)

? rite? i am just guessing, as i need to sleep now :)
i did the fixed distance so i can change only one parameter which is that it is exactly the same equations but the distance isn't fixed... but now varies with time.

i thought my approach was good,... wasn't it? i will repost fixed matrices tomorrow

Ive done the deduction and i got this instead:

x' = xcosθ + ysinθ
y' = ycosθ - xsinθ

aka, y' was -1 your y'.

I am currently almost done with their respective lorentz transformation... post it shortly afterwards

Yes, I made a mistake, you result is correct so far. See, everybody gets confused about these rotations :)

since ur already here... should i get the lorentz transformation of V, too?
becuse without it it seems easier :P ... but i really think that i need the transformation of v, since v acts on both X and Y.. (in S)

it's only in X' in S'

If v is velocity, you don't need to transform it. You know in advance it will be aligned with OX' - that's why you rotate the frame to begin with.

then i think i am done, give me 5 mins to copy the stuff to my "special" :P paper and attach as PDF, i will include some other inference i had on V, please tell me if they are true or false.. i will be more specific in the pdf

I think I've done this question, here is my latest attempt,
i also have some "True/False" questions, that are there i made them up... because i got confused, and i need some clarification. they are labeled i, ii, iii , iv (i think i forgot iv but it's the last thing i wrote :P )

Attachments

• A Boosted frame with rotation.pdf
    258.7 KB · Views: 225
You have two transformations, which look correct. But you have only two frames denoted in your solution. You can't have two transformations between two frames, it does not make sense. This is why you are confused. You are almost there, but you need to label all the THREE involved frames and the corresponding quantities correctly.

orrite, i will try again with S being our normal rf and S' the fixed rotated and S'' the moving rotated

1. What is coordinate transformation in special relativity with linear algebra?

Coordinate transformation in special relativity with linear algebra is a mathematical method used to convert coordinates between different reference frames in the theory of special relativity. It involves using linear algebra techniques to find the equations that relate the coordinates in one frame to the coordinates in another frame.

2. Why is coordinate transformation important in special relativity?

Coordinate transformation is important in special relativity because it allows us to describe the same event from different reference frames. In special relativity, the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames, but the measurements of time and space can vary depending on the observer's reference frame. Coordinate transformation allows us to account for these differences and maintain the consistency of physical laws.

3. What is the difference between a Lorentz transformation and a Galilean transformation?

A Lorentz transformation is a coordinate transformation that takes into account the effects of special relativity, including time dilation and length contraction. It is used to convert coordinates between reference frames moving at constant velocities. A Galilean transformation, on the other hand, is a coordinate transformation used in classical mechanics to convert coordinates between reference frames that are not moving relative to each other. It does not take into account the effects of special relativity.

4. How is linear algebra used in coordinate transformation in special relativity?

Linear algebra is used in coordinate transformation in special relativity to find the equations that relate the coordinates in one reference frame to the coordinates in another frame. This involves using matrices and vectors to represent the coordinates and applying linear transformations, such as rotations and boosts, to convert them between frames.

5. What are some real-world applications of coordinate transformation in special relativity?

Coordinate transformation in special relativity has numerous real-world applications in fields such as physics, astronomy, and engineering. For example, it is used in satellite navigation systems to accurately calculate positions on Earth by taking into account the effects of time dilation due to the satellites' high speeds. It is also used in particle accelerators to accurately measure the trajectories of particles moving at high speeds.