Special Relativity and the Lagrangian

In summary: I just thought it was interesting and wanted to share it with you all. Thank you for your time.In summary, there is a deep connection between the Lagrangian expression L = T - U and the proper time s^2 = t^2 - x^2 , involving general relativity and the principle of maximum proper time. This was discovered by the user who started the conversation and is elaborated on in "The Feynman Lectures" (vol. II).
dx
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hi,

The invariant quantity in special relativity is [tex] t^2 - x^2 [/tex] and the form of the lagrangian is [tex] T - U [/tex]. The kinetic energy T has to do with time while the potential energy U has to do with space. I was just wondering if there's some known connection here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rereading my post, I think maybe I didn't explain my question properly. In classical mechanics the Lagrangian has the form [tex] T - U [/tex]. In special relativity, the interval [tex] t^2 - x^2[/tex] is invariant. I've always found the specific form T - U of the Lagrangian pretty baffling, and have wondered whether there's any deeper way of looking at it. Recently I got the idea that maybe there's some connection between the relativistic interval and the Lagrangian, since the kinetic energy is associated with time and the potential energy is associated with space, like t and x in the expression for the interval. So is there any known connection between the relativistic interval and the Lagrangian?

Not as you put it. The form T-U is unconnected to the form t^2-x^2.

Because we consider potential energy to be negative, T - U is the total energy. The Lagrangian will give the same dynamics if it is rewritten,

L = T + (K-U(x))

where K is a very large constant representing all the potential energy in the system.

I think the similarity in form to x2-t2 is coincidental.

Mentz,

T - U is not the total energy, I don't understand why you think that. Also, consider the Lagrangian of a string, where the particles are vibrating transversely. In appropriate units, it has the form

[tex] L = \frac{1}{2} \int (\frac{dy}{dt})^2 - (\frac{dy}{dx})^2 dx [/tex].

where the integrand is of the form [tex](time derivate)^2 - (space derivative)^2[/tex], which also suggests an analogy with [tex] t^2 - x^2 [/tex].

And yes I know [tex] L = T - U + K [/tex] where K is a constant will give the same dynamics, but notice that [tex] t^2 - x^2 + K [/tex] is also an invariant.

Last edited:
Dx,

yes, I was thinking of the Hamiltonian H = T + U for the SHO. Whoops.

To get back to your question. The invariance of x2-t2 under Lorentz transformations tells us about the symmetry of SR. If the form T - U is significant it will be related to a symmetry.

So, what transformations leave the dynamics of

[tex] L = \frac{1}{2} \int (\frac{dy}{dt})^2 - (\frac{dy}{dx})^2 dx [/tex]

unchanged ?

M

Last edited:
I don't know exactly, but there is some sort of connection.

From the Lagrangian we get the Euler-Lagrange equations, which describe geodesic motion. In relativity, free particles and free photons move on geodesics, trajectories of extremal arc length, with arc length given by ds2.

See the discussion beginning at 3.4.3:
John Baez, Blair Smith and Derek Wise, Lectures on Classical Mechanics.
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/classical/texfiles/2005/book/classical.pdf

Last edited:
I started this thread a long time ago, and the issue wasn't resolved to my satisfaction at that time. I have since found the relationship I was looking for. It is essentially an elaboration of what atyy said. I thought I would post it in case anyone is interested. The question was whether there was any relationship between the Lagrangian expression [itex] L = T - U [/itex] and the proper time [itex] s^2 = t^2 - x^2 [/itex], since they look formally similar and also the relationship between T and t, and U and x, is analogous. It turns out that there is indeed a very deep connection between the two, involving general relativity!

The law of motion in gravitational fields in general relativity says that the proper time along the correct path [itex] \int ds [/itex] is maximum. For a particle moving vertically on the surface of the earth, choose an arbitrary path [tex] h(t) [/tex]. General relativity says that the relative rate of a clock is higher if the clock is higher in the gravitational field by an amount [itex] gh/c^2 [/itex]. If the clock is moving, then there is an additional change in the relative rate due to special relativity which is approximately [itex] -v^2/2c^2 [/itex]. Therefore, the condition that the proper time is maximum will be

[tex] \int ( gh - v^2/2 )dt = max. [/tex]​

If you multiply this by [itex] -m [/itex], you get

[tex] \int ( mv^2/2 - mgh )dt = min,[/tex]​

which is exactly the condition that the the action [itex] \int (T - U) dt [/itex] is a minimum. I found this in "The Feynman Lectures" (vol. II), if you want more details.

Last edited:

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that explains how objects behave at high speeds and in the absence of gravitational forces. It is based on the principle that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion and the speed of light is constant for all observers.

2. What is the Lagrangian in special relativity?

The Lagrangian in special relativity is a mathematical function that describes the energy of a system in terms of its position and velocity. It is used in the study of mechanics and is a fundamental concept in the theory of relativity. The Lagrangian allows for the calculation of the equations of motion for a system, providing a more elegant and efficient approach than traditional methods.

3. How does special relativity affect our understanding of time and space?

Special relativity introduces the concept of spacetime, where time and space are interconnected and can be affected by the motion of an observer. It also shows that time and space are relative, meaning they can appear differently to different observers depending on their relative motion. This theory has led to a better understanding of concepts such as time dilation and length contraction.

4. Can special relativity be applied to all situations?

Special relativity is applicable to situations where objects are moving at speeds close to the speed of light or in the absence of gravitational forces. It is a well-tested and accepted theory that has been successfully applied in many fields, including particle physics, astrophysics, and engineering. However, it is not applicable to situations involving objects with significant gravitational forces, which require the use of general relativity.

5. How does the theory of special relativity impact our daily lives?

While the effects of special relativity may not be noticeable in our daily lives, the theory has had a significant impact on technology and our understanding of the universe. It has played a crucial role in the development of technologies such as GPS, which relies on precise timing and the effects of relativity on satellite signals. Additionally, special relativity has allowed us to better understand the behavior of objects at high speeds, such as particles in accelerators, and has led to a deeper understanding of the universe and its origins.