1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Special relativity, delay of a clock in a plane

1. Aug 15, 2010 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A plane is moving at 600m/s with respect to the ground. According to clocks on the ground, how much time would it take so that the plane's clock is delayed by 2 microseconds?

2. Relevant equations
    Lorentz transformations.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let O be a reference frame on the ground and O' be a reference frame on the plane.
    v=600m/s. If I'm not wrong, they ask me [tex]t_B-t_A[/tex] such that [tex](t_B-t_A)-(t_A'-t_B')=2 \times 10 ^{-6}s[/tex]. (*)
    What I've done so far is [tex]t_B'-t_A'=\gamma \left [ t_B-t_A +\frac{v}{c^2}(x_A-x_B) \right ][/tex], replacing [tex]x_A-x_B[/tex] by [tex]v(t_A-t_B)[/tex], then solving for [tex]t_B-t_A[/tex] in (*), I reach that it's worth exactly [tex]1000000s[/tex]. Or 11 days, 13 hours, 46 minutes and 40 s. It seems too big for me. Do you get a different answer?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2010 #2

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your final answer is about the same as mine.

4. Aug 16, 2010 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Oh ok. Thanks a lot for the confirmation.

5. Aug 16, 2010 #4

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Be careful of your precision though. The speed of light isn't exactly 3.000000 x 108 m/s. So I don't think you should be calculating the time down to the very second with that. But something around 1.0 x 106 seconds is the answer that I got, is what I meant.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook