1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Special Relativity Energy Problem a little confused!

1. Sep 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    At Earth's location, the intensity of sunlight is 1.5kW/m^2. if no energy escaped earth, by how much would Earth's mass increase in 1 day?

2. Relevant equations
    ΔE=Δmc^2+ΔKE
    Rearth=6.378x10^3

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that the change in kinetic energy does not change, so that value can go to 0. But I'm not sure what exactly I'm supposed to start with. The answer is supposed to be 1.83x10^5kg/day. Any help would REALLY be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2012 #2
    You need to calculate how much energy is received in 1 day by the entire Earth.
    You know how much is received in one second (kW is energy per second) by 1 m^2 of the surface.

4. Sep 18, 2012 #3
    Do I use cross sectional area?

5. Sep 18, 2012 #4
    You can use the cross sectional area and assume the radiation is normal on it.
    Integrating over the area of the (hemi-)sphere and taking into account the angle of incidence for each location will produce the same result.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook