[Special Relativity] - Finding the Proper Length at Rest in Frame S'

In summary, the conversation discusses a specific textbook question that is causing confusion due to a potentially incorrect angle measurement. The speaker provides a link to their attempted solution and notes that the answers in the provided PDF are the same as the textbook question. The only aspect causing confusion is the inclusion of ##l=\sqrt{2}c## as an angle measurement and the speaker plans to consult with their professor for clarification.
Athenian
Homework Statement
A rod of proper length ##l_0## is at rest in a frame ##S'##. It lies in the ##(x', y')## plane and makes an angle of ##l=\sqrt{2}c## with the ##x'## axis. If ##S'## moves with constant velocity ##v## parallel to the ##x## axis of another frame ##S##:

a. What must be the value of ##v## if, as measured in ##S##, the rod is at 45 degrees to the ##x## axis?

b. What is the length of the rod as measured in ##S## under these conditions?
Relevant Equations
$$\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1- \frac{v^2}{c^2}}}$$
Currently, the only part of the textbook question that is completely throwing me off is "an angle of ##l=\sqrt{2}c##". If I am not mistaken, how am I suppose to interpret that as an angle and calculate for the answers of (a) and (b) accordingly?

As for my attempted solution process of this question, please refer to the below link (problem 3).

https://www.atmosp.physics.utoronto.ca/people/strong/phy140/tut12ans_01.pdf

The above link takes the solution approach I would normally take with this problem if they provided an actual angle (e.g. ##\theta = 45## degrees). Ironically enough (despite minor differences in the question), the answers in the above PDF happens to be the exact same as my above question (according to the textbook).

That said, the only aspect of this problem confusing me is - as mentioned - the part of the text that includes ##l=\sqrt{2}c## as the angle. How should I interpret this and include it as part of my calculation?

Thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like a typo.

Likes Athenian
Thanks. I'll let my professor know and see what he says about it.

What is Special Relativity?

Special Relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that describes the relationship between space and time in the presence of high speeds or strong gravitational fields.

What is the Proper Length at Rest in Frame S'?

The Proper Length at Rest in Frame S' refers to the length of an object as measured by an observer in a frame of reference that is at rest with the object.

How is the Proper Length at Rest in Frame S' calculated?

The Proper Length at Rest in Frame S' is calculated using the Lorentz transformation, which takes into account the relative velocity between the observer and the object.

What is the difference between Proper Length and Apparent Length?

The Proper Length is the length of an object as measured in a frame of reference that is at rest with the object, while the Apparent Length is the length of the object as measured in a frame of reference that is in motion relative to the object.

Why is the Proper Length at Rest in Frame S' important in Special Relativity?

The Proper Length at Rest in Frame S' is important in Special Relativity because it is a fundamental concept that helps us understand how the measurements of space and time change when observed from different frames of reference, and how this relates to the speed of light being constant for all observers.