1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Special relativity homework question time dilation

1. Nov 14, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You are a passenger on a brand-new spaceship that travels at 95% of the speed of light, i.e.,
    v = 0.95 × c. The spaceship is bound for the star, Altair, at a distance of 17 light years from
    Earth. If the spaceship departs on your 21st birthday, at a speed of v = 0.95c, how old are you
    when the spaceship arrives at Altair?

2. Relevant equations
    Δtmoving = Δtrest x [square root of (1−v^2/c^2)]

v= d/t

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no idea how to do this problem, in my opinion it appears to be poorly worded, I don't know if the professor means age relative to earth time or age relative to the traveling speed. This is my attempt to find a solution:

v=d/t v=0.95c --> 0.95c= 17lightyears/ t

t= d/ v

t= 17ly/ 0.95 c

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2011 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

I sympathize with you; relativity really confused me, too! Even those guys at CERN measuring neutrinos were confused. I remember just enough to know that this question is very well worded - no nonsense about accelerating at the beginning or end to worry about. Just the Earth frame of reference. I think your calc is correct, but you better check here to be sure:
    http://physics.bu.edu/py106/notes/Relativity.html

4. Nov 14, 2011 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook