Special relativity homework question time dilation

In summary, the homework question involves calculating the age of a passenger on a spaceship traveling at 95% of the speed of light when it arrives at a star 17 light years away. The solution involves using the time dilation equation and the distance traveled according to the spaceship's frame. The passenger's age when the spaceship arrives at the star is 26.6 years old.
natxio
Special relativity homework question time dilation
1. Homework Statement
You are a passenger on a brand-new spaceship that travels at 95% of the speed of light, i.e.,
v = 0.95 × c. The spaceship is bound for the star, Altair, at a distance of 17 light years from
Earth. If the spaceship departs on your 21st birthday, at a speed of v = 0.95c, how old are you
when the spaceship arrives at Altair?

2. Homework Equations
Δtmoving = Δtrest x [square root of (1−v^2/c^2)]

v= d/t

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I have no idea how to do this problem, in my opinion it appears to be poorly worded, I don't know if the professor means age relative to Earth time or age relative to the traveling speed. This is my attempt to find a solution:

v=d/t v=0.95c --> 0.95c= 17lightyears/ t

t= d/ v

t= 17ly/ 0.95 c

Physics news on Phys.org
natxio said:
I have no idea how to do this problem, in my opinion it appears to be poorly worded, I don't know if the professor means age relative to Earth time or age relative to the traveling speed.
They want the actual biological age of the passenger when he arrives at the destination. So it's his frame that we are interested in.

This is my attempt to find a solution:

v=d/t v=0.95c --> 0.95c= 17lightyears/ t

t= d/ v

t= 17ly/ 0.95 c
What you found is the time the trip takes according to Earth observers. That's not quite it. What would the time be according to the spaceship?

okay, I understand how to do it, so I plug what I calculated into the time dilation equation as delta t rest and calculate tmoving based on what I have given. Thank you!

natxio said:
okay, I understand how to do it, so I plug what I calculated into the time dilation equation as delta t rest and calculate tmoving based on what I have given. Thank you!
Good! That works.

Another approach that will give you the same answer is to ask yourself: What is the distance traveled according to the spaceship? Then you can use T = D/V from the spaceship's frame.

the answer for tmoving is 5.6 and when you add that to the age of the passenger that is 21yrs+ 5.6 yrs= 26.6 yrs old when the ship arrives at Altair!

1. How does time dilation occur in special relativity?

Time dilation occurs in special relativity when an observer in one reference frame perceives time passing at a different rate for an object moving at a high velocity in a different reference frame. This is due to the fact that the speed of light is constant and the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames of reference.

2. Can you provide an example of time dilation in special relativity?

One example of time dilation in special relativity is the famous "twin paradox," where one twin travels at high speeds in a spaceship and returns to Earth to find that they have aged less than their twin who stayed on Earth. This is due to the fact that the twin in the spaceship experienced time passing at a slower rate due to their high speed.

3. Does time dilation only occur at high speeds?

No, time dilation can also occur in everyday situations. For example, GPS satellites have to account for time dilation due to their high speeds in orbit in order for their precise location calculations to be accurate. However, the effects of time dilation are only noticeable at extremely high speeds.

4. How is time dilation related to the concept of relativity?

The concept of relativity states that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames of reference. Time dilation is a consequence of this concept, as the perception of time passing at different rates is relative to the observer's reference frame. This means that there is no absolute concept of time, but rather it is relative to the observer's perspective.

5. Can time dilation be reversed?

Yes, time dilation can be reversed by reversing the motion of the object. This means that if an object is moving at a high velocity and experiences time passing at a slower rate, when it returns to its original reference frame, time will appear to have passed faster for the object. This is known as time contraction.