[Special Relativity]Questions on Maxwell Equations' Derivation

In summary, it is said that in frame K' which is moving at a constant speed v on the x-axis with respect to K, the electromagnetic field strength tensor (F_{\mu\nu}=\partial_\mu A_\nu - \partial_\nu A_\mu) transforms as a rank 2 4-tensor.
genxium
In Einstein's paper section 6 (I'm reading an English version online: https://www.fourmilab.ch/etexts/einstein/specrel/www/), it's said that one of the Maxwell Equations in frame [itex]K[/itex]
[tex]\frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial X}{\partial t} = \frac{\partial N}{\partial y} - \frac{\partial M}{\partial z}[/tex], where [itex]<X, Y, Z>[/itex] denotes the vector of the electric force and [itex]<L, M, N>[/itex] that of the magnetic force, can be "transformed" into frame [itex]K'[/itex] which is moving at a constant speed [itex]v[/itex] on the [itex]x-axis[/itex] with respect to [itex]K[/itex],
[tex]\frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial X}{\partial \tau} = \frac{\partial}{\partial \eta} \{ \beta \cdot (N - \frac{v}{c}Y) \} - \frac{\partial}{\partial \zeta} \{ \beta \cdot (M + \frac{v}{c}Z) \} [/tex], where [itex]\beta = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/itex]

I'm confused by the existence of terms [itex]\frac{\partial Y}{\partial \eta}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\partial Z}{\partial \zeta}[/itex], because it's derived in section 3 that

[tex]\tau = \beta \cdot (t - \frac{vx}{c^2})[/tex]
[tex]\xi = \beta \cdot (x - vt)[/tex]
[tex]\eta = y[/tex]
[tex]\zeta = z[/tex]

I can't find a way to apply partial derivative operations to make [itex]\frac{\partial Y}{\partial \eta}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\partial Z}{\partial \zeta}[/itex] come out. Could anyone give me some tips? Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure where your confusion is.. η=y and ζ=z, as you showed so the two derivatives are just w.r.t. y and z. If your confusion is about how the electric field terms end up on the right side of the equation, I think you're looking in the wrong place. Lorentz transformations don't only occur on the coordinate system, they also transform 4-vectors and 4-tensors. The electromagnetic field strength tensor ([itex]F_{\mu\nu}=\partial_\mu A_\nu - \partial_\nu A_\mu[/itex]) transforms as a rank 2 4-tensor. So when you switch reference frames you actually need to apply a Lorentz transformation to each index of F, in addition to evaluating F at the transformed coordinates. That is where the mixing of the E and B fields comes from, its not some trick found by manipulating the coordinate system.

Likes genxium
michael879 said:
The electromagnetic field strength tensor ([itex]F_{\mu\nu}=\partial_\mu A_\nu - \partial_\nu A_\mu[/itex]) transforms as a rank 2 4-tensor. So when you switch reference frames you actually need to apply a Lorentz transformation to each index of F, in addition to evaluating F at the transformed coordinates.

Thanks a lot michael879! I'm afraid I can't understand the tensor part immediately, but it looks like a right way to go after searching for some information about it.

I'm totally new to Special Relativity, your answer is really helpful :p

If you are new to SR I would suggest starting somewhere different from Einstein's original paper. It is very seldom that the way science has progressed historically is the most pedagogical one. A better place to start would be a modern textbook appropriate to your level of understanding.

Orodruin said:
If you are new to SR I would suggest starting somewhere different from Einstein's original paper. It is very seldom that the way science has progressed historically is the most pedagogical one. A better place to start would be a modern textbook appropriate to your level of understanding.
^ very good advice :P As for tensor's, they're a little strange intuitively at first, but they really are just a generalization of vectors. Once you understand 4-vectors (which are rank 1 tensors) tensors are pretty straight forward.

Also, I would recommend learning and using Einstein notation (also known as tensor notation). It makes understanding special relativity infinitely easier, as 3-vectors just end up being awkward

Thank you for the advice @Orodruin :)

Learning SR is really getting me into a depth-first-search like recursion :p

genxium said:
Learning SR is really getting me into a depth-first-search like recursion :p
Lmao, I rly like that analogy. I don't think physics ever stops being like that

1. What are Maxwell's equations and why are they important in special relativity?

Maxwell's equations are a set of four equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. They are important in special relativity because they provide a mathematical description of how these fields interact with matter and how they propagate through space and time.

2. How were Maxwell's equations derived?

Maxwell's equations were derived through a combination of experimental observations and mathematical calculations by James Clerk Maxwell in the 1860s. He synthesized the works of previous scientists and used his own mathematical insights to formulate the four equations.

3. What is the significance of Maxwell's equations in the context of special relativity?

In the context of special relativity, Maxwell's equations are significant because they helped to unify the previously separate theories of electricity and magnetism. They also played a crucial role in the development of Einstein's theory of special relativity, as they formed the basis for his theory of electromagnetism.

4. Are Maxwell's equations still valid in special relativity?

Yes, Maxwell's equations are still valid in special relativity. However, they had to be modified to be consistent with the principles of special relativity, such as the constancy of the speed of light. This led to the development of the Lorentz transformation equations, which relate the electric and magnetic fields in one inertial reference frame to those in another frame moving at a constant velocity relative to the first frame.

5. How do Maxwell's equations relate to Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2?

Maxwell's equations do not directly relate to Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2. However, they played a crucial role in the development of special relativity, which is one of the key principles that led to the formulation of E=mc^2. Additionally, the equations show the interplay between electric and magnetic fields, which are both forms of energy, and how this energy can be converted into matter and vice versa.