Specific charge calculation for carbon-12: why is the exponent -19+27 not -46?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter bacardiancoke
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Charge Specific Sum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
bacardiancoke
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hi all,

I'm reading through a section of my course about specific charge and I cannot figure out how exactly the example sum has got the answer it displays.

It uses carbon 12 as the example so displays the sum as:

= 9.61305876 x 10-19
------------------------------------------
20.08529244 x 10-27


= 0.4786118 x 10-19+27

= 0.4786118 x 108

= 4.4786118 x 107 Coulombs / kg

How exactly does it become (-19+27) when my working out of the very same sum has it at -46?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac{1}{10^n} = 10^{-n}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{10^{-n}} = 10^n[/tex]
 
Thanks jtbell. :smile:

Was funny in a way, as soon as I hit "post" the penny dropped :redface: