Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Specific Gravity of a Brine

1. May 2, 2016 #1
    Hello all,

I am currently trying to convert brine salinity values in ppm to the corresponding brine density.

My understanding is that I can do that using ppm * SG = mg/L . However I do not know how to get the Specific Gravity (SG) of my brine. The data I try to convert has a minimum value of 0ppm, a maximum value of 600,000 ppm and a mean of 118,000 ppm.

My understanding is that I can't simply assume that SG = 1 because I have high salinities. Most of the data I can find only refers to seawater and I am dealing with brines at high pressure and temperatures. I was therefore wondering if there was an equation to get SG in function of pressure, temperature and salinity.

Thank you for your help !

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2016 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Best approach: tables. Published and not that difficult to google.

Such tables are built into my CASC concentration calculator, which does the conversion between density and concentration on the fly, as you enter the data. It is a commercial product, but with a free 30-days trial.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted