Specific Heat at High Temperatures

In summary, the conversation is about finding values for specific heats of gases at extremely high temperatures in order to conduct simulations for high-pressure combustion events. The previously published data contains some of these values but the speaker is looking for more references or sources to find additional information. They also mention wanting to find a mathematical representation for the data and suggest using NASA polynomials or JANAF tables as potential options.
TonyKonya
TL;DR Summary
Need information to find tabular or mathematical methods to determine specific heat (Cv) of gases at high temp.
I am working on some simulations to determine pressures for extremely high-pressure combustion events. The temperatures in these events can range anywhere from 3000 K to 6000 K. In order to do this I need to find valuers for specific heats of gases at these temp ranges as I know they vary to a large degree. Some previously published data I have contain some of these such as:
5000 K:
H2O - 9.933 cal/mole K
N2 - 6.526 cal/mole K
CO2 - 12.292 cal/mole K
CO - 6.580 cal/mole K

This paper also has a few other numbers associated. I have also found thermo texts that go up to 1500 C or 2000 C, but I need to go higher than this. I also have Fenning, R.W. The Specific Heat of Gases at High Temperatures. Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc. (1932).

Does anyone know of other references or sources I can find some more information? I would really like a way to mathematically represent this instead of just tabular but I am happy with either.

P.S. Thermo and Chemistry is not my background so please feel free to correct me if I am wrong about something here.

Thanks for responses in advance!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Likes TeethWhitener

What is specific heat at high temperatures?

Specific heat at high temperatures refers to the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by a certain amount at high temperatures. It is a measure of a substance's ability to store heat energy.

Why is specific heat at high temperatures important in scientific research?

Specific heat at high temperatures is important in scientific research because it helps us understand how different substances behave at extreme temperatures, such as those found in space or during chemical reactions. It also plays a crucial role in the design and development of new materials for high temperature applications.

How is specific heat at high temperatures measured?

Specific heat at high temperatures is typically measured using calorimetry, which involves measuring the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by a known amount. This can be done using specialized equipment such as a bomb calorimeter or differential scanning calorimeter.

What factors can affect specific heat at high temperatures?

Several factors can affect specific heat at high temperatures, including the type of substance, its phase (solid, liquid, or gas), its molecular structure, and any impurities present. The temperature and pressure conditions can also have an impact on specific heat at high temperatures.

How does specific heat at high temperatures differ from specific heat at low temperatures?

Specific heat at high temperatures is typically lower than specific heat at low temperatures. This is because at high temperatures, the molecular motion and energy of the substance increases, making it easier for the substance to absorb heat and causing a decrease in specific heat. Additionally, some substances may undergo a phase change at high temperatures, which can also affect their specific heat.