Specific Heat Capacity and Change in Internal Energy

In summary: Then, you can use that mass to determine the remaining mass of ice in the jar.For the second problem, you'll need to use the equations for work and heat flow to determine the net change in internal energy and the final internal energy of the gas. Don't forget to account for the initial internal energy of 42.0 kJ.
nellydude88

Homework Statement

I'm having trouble with the following two problems:

1. A jar of tea is placed in the sunlight until it reaches an equilibrium temperature of 32*C. In an attempt to cool the liquid, which has a mass of .180kg, .112 kg of ice at 0*C is added. At the time at which the temperature of the tea (and melted ice) is 15*C, determine the mass of the remaining ice in the jar. Assume the Specific heat capacity of the tea to be that of pure liquid water.

2. The heaviest snake ever found had a mass of 227 kg and measured 8.45 m in length. Suppose a sample of a gas with an initial internal energy of 42.0 kJ performs an amount of work equal to that needed to lift the snake to a height equal to its length. If 4.00 kJ of energy is transferred to the gas by heat during the lifting process, what will be the final internal energy of the gas?

Homework Equations

1. C[p,t] * M [t] * (T[f]-T) = C[p,i] * M * (T[f]-T)
Specific Heat of Water = 4.186 x 10 ^ 3.
Specific Heat of Ice = 2.09 x 10 ^ 3

2. PE + KE + U = 0
PE = m*g*h
KE = .5m * V ^ 2

The Attempt at a Solution

1. (4.186 * 10 ^3) (.180kg) (17) = (2.09 x 10 ^ 3)(.112kg)(15)
I am unaware of how to account for the melted and remaining ice.
Do i just do like a mass initial and final?

2. (227 kg) * (8.45 m) * (9.81) = 18, 817 J I really don't think I am anywhere close to the right answer.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
nellydude88 said:
1. (4.186 * 10 ^3) (.180kg) (17) = (2.09 x 10 ^ 3)(.112kg)(15)
I am unaware of how to account for the melted and remaining ice.
Do i just do like a mass initial and final?
When the tea cools from its initial temperature to 15C, how much energy is released? How much ice can be melted and then warmed to 15C by that amount of energy?

2. (227 kg) * (8.45 m) * (9.81) = 18, 817 J I really don't think I am anywhere close to the right answer.
The gas (a) does some work and (b) has heat flow into it. What's the net change in internal energy? What's the final internal energy?

Doc Al said:
When the tea cools from its initial temperature to 15C, how much energy is released? How much ice can be melted and then warmed to 15C by that amount of energy?

The gas (a) does some work and (b) has heat flow into it. What's the net change in internal energy? What's the final internal energy?

Would i be using the latent heat equation to figure this out? Q = mL? And if so would i use the latent heat of water? or would i use the specific heat cpacity equation? C[p] = energy transferred as heat/ (mass* change in temperature)

You'll need to use both. The ice first needs to be melted (latent heat of fusion) and then the resulting water needs to be heated (specific heat of water).

You'll to set up an equation and solve for the unknown mass of ice that melts.

1. What is Specific Heat Capacity?

Specific heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of one gram of a substance by one degree Celsius.

2. What factors affect Specific Heat Capacity?

The factors that affect specific heat capacity include the type of substance, its mass, and its temperature.

3. How is Specific Heat Capacity measured?

Specific heat capacity is measured by using a calorimeter, which is an insulated container that can measure the transfer of heat between substances.

4. What is the relationship between Specific Heat Capacity and Change in Internal Energy?

The change in internal energy of a substance is directly proportional to its specific heat capacity. This means that a substance with a higher specific heat capacity will require more energy to produce a change in temperature compared to a substance with a lower specific heat capacity.

5. How does Specific Heat Capacity affect heat transfer?

The specific heat capacity of a substance determines how much heat energy it can absorb or release without experiencing a significant change in temperature. This means that substances with a higher specific heat capacity are better at storing and releasing heat, making them useful for regulating temperature in various systems.