Specific heat capacity of a metal at low temperature

In summary: The first law is pretty simple: q = u + w, where q is the amount of heat removed from the metal at any given temperature and u is the temperature of the metal at the start of the process. The second law is a bit more complicated because it takes into account the entropy of the system. The entropy of the metal at 4K is greater than the entropy of the metal at 20K, so the work done in cooling the metal from 20K to 4K is greater than the work done in cooling the metal from 4K to 20K.
erisedk

Homework Statement

The specific heat capacity of a metal at low temperature (T) is given as ##C_p = 32\left({\dfrac{T}{400}}\right)^3## (kJK-1kg-1). A 100g vessel of this metal is to be cooled from 20 K to 4 K by a special refrigerator operating at room temperature (27°C). The amount of work required to cool the vessel is

(A) equal to 0.002 kJ
(B) greater than 0.148 kJ
(C) between 0.148 kJ and 0.028 kJ
(D) less than 0.028 kJ

Homework Equations

q = u + w
dq = mCpdT

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to calculate the change in internal energy. I do know how to calculate q.
-dq = mCpdT
##q = -\int\limits_{20}^{4}32\left({\dfrac{T}{400}}\right)^3 dT##
q = 0.002 kJ
(A) is not the answer (and it shouldn't be because I've ignored Δu). How do I find Δu so I can then find the work done from the first law equation? Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
erisedk said:

Homework Statement

The specific heat capacity of a metal at low temperature (T) is given as ##C_p = 32\left({\dfrac{T}{400}}\right)^3## (kJK-1kg-1). A 100g vessel of this metal is to be cooled from 20 K to 4 K by a special refrigerator operating at room temperature (27°C). The amount of work required to cool the vessel is

(A) equal to 0.002 kJ
(B) greater than 0.148 kJ
(C) between 0.148 kJ and 0.028 kJ
(D) less than 0.028 kJ

Homework Equations

q = u + w
dq = mCpdT

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to calculate the change in internal energy. I do know how to calculate q.
-dq = mCpdT
##q = -\int\limits_{20}^{4}32\left({\dfrac{T}{400}}\right)^3 dT##
q = 0.002 kJ
(A) is not the answer (and it shouldn't be because I've ignored Δu). How do I find Δu so I can then find the work done from the first law equation? Please help.
What happened to m in your integral evaluation? Can you show your calculations for the evaluation of the integral?

Oh sorry, I did include it in the calculation. Here:
##q = -(0.1)\int\limits_{20}^{4}32\left({\dfrac{T}{400}}\right)^3 dT##

## = -(0.1)\frac{32}{400^3}.\frac{1}{4} T^4 ## (from 20K to 4K)

## = (0.1)\frac{32}{400^3}.\frac{1}{4} (20^4 - 4^4) ##

## = 2 × 10^{-3}## kJ

Problem is, you're violating the 2nd law of thermodynamics.
Reconsider, incorporating that law.

I'm sorry, but I really have no clue here.

I agree I am violating the second law, I just don't know how to proceed after that.

erisedk said:
I agree I am violating the second law, I just don't know how to proceed after that.
Assume no increase in entropy, thern what additional equation can you produce to put a bottom on the work needed? (If you don't know what entropy is you're out of luck).

I do know what entropy is, but I seriously don't know what other equation to use.

Ok, fact: the best you can do is have the increase in entropy of the high-temperature reservoir = decrease in entropy of your metal. That's the second law here.

Now, think about what's going on: you start with the metal at 20K and end up at 4K, while the high-temperature reservoir is at a constant 27K. This is therefore a continuous process in which differential amounts of heat are removed from the metal at various temperatures (between 20K and 4K) and pushed up to the high-temp reservoir. So you need to come up with the differential expressions for the first and second laws.

1. What is specific heat capacity?

Specific heat capacity is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius per unit mass. It is measured in joules per gram per degree Celsius (J/g·°C) or in calories per gram per degree Celsius (cal/g·°C).

2. How is specific heat capacity different at low temperatures?

At low temperatures, the specific heat capacity of a metal tends to decrease. This is because at lower temperatures, the atoms in the metal are vibrating less and have less energy, making it easier to increase their temperature.

3. Why is it important to study the specific heat capacity of metals at low temperatures?

Understanding the specific heat capacity of metals at low temperatures is important for various applications, such as in cryogenic engineering, where materials need to withstand extremely low temperatures. It also helps us understand the thermal behavior of materials in different environments.

4. How is specific heat capacity of a metal at low temperature measured?

The specific heat capacity of a metal at low temperatures can be measured using various techniques, such as calorimetry, where the substance's temperature change is measured when heat is added or removed. Other methods include heat capacity measurements and thermal conductivity measurements.

5. Can the specific heat capacity of a metal change at different low temperatures?

Yes, the specific heat capacity of a metal can change at different low temperatures. This is because different metals have different atomic structures and behaviors, causing their specific heat capacities to vary at different temperatures. Additionally, external factors such as impurities in the metal can also affect its specific heat capacity.