Specific heat of diatomic gases and equipartion energy

In summary, the Equipartition Principle can only be used at high temperatures when the energy difference between subsequent levels is small. The rotational and vibrational energy of molecules are quantized, with rotational levels being closer than vibrational levels. This means that at near-room temperatures, rotational degrees of freedom can be counted, but the vibrational degrees of freedom are usually frozen. However, in systems with close vibrational energy levels, such as liquid water, the vibrational degrees of freedom should be taken into account, resulting in a higher specific heat at room temperature.
Dario SLC
My doubt it is simply if have other reason to don't use this principle for the specific heat of diatomic gases.

Homework Equations

$$U=NkT=nRT$$
$$u_n=\frac{U}{n}=RT\text{ molar energy}$$
$$u_N=\frac{U}{N}=kT\text{ average energy}$$
$$Z=\sum{e^{-\omega_i/kT}}\text{ with $\omega_i$ particular energy}$$ partition function

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe (better said, in the Sears book, Thermodynamics) that the equipartition energy is not valid because, for the energies relative to the vibrational motion and rotational motion, it has quantized.

If was valid the principle of equipartition energy, this say:
$$U_t=\frac3{2}kT$$
when ##U_t## is relative at the translation motion, and the factor three is for the degree of freedom, ie:
$$\frac{1}{2}kT+\frac{1}{2}kT+\frac{1}{2}kT$$ for each degree of freedom.

In the vibrational motion, like in the solid if we are model like oscillator and it have the quadratic coordinate for the velocity (kinetic energy) and quadratic coordinate for the position (potential energy), only (since classical point of view), therefore the energy of vibration is ##\frac{1}{2}kT+\frac{1}{2}kT=kT##, but it is not the real when ##T\Longrightarrow0## (then solved using quantized energy).

Here my question, ONLY because the energy of vibration is quantized, the principle of partition energy I can't use it?

(Similar to rotational motion)

Thanks!

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Dario SLC said:
My doubt it is simply if have other reason to don't use this principle for the specific heat of diatomic gases.

Homework Equations

$$U=NkT=nRT$$
$$u_n=\frac{U}{n}=RT\text{ molar energy}$$
$$u_N=\frac{U}{N}=kT\text{ average energy}$$
$$Z=\sum{e^{-\omega_i/kT}}\text{ with $\omega_i$ particular energy}$$ partition function

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe (better said, in the Sears book, Thermodynamics) that the equipartition energy is not valid because, for the energies relative to the vibrational motion and rotational motion, it has quantized.

If was valid the principle of equipartition energy, this say:
$$U_t=\frac3{2}kT$$
when ##U_t## is relative at the translation motion, and the factor three is for the degree of freedom, ie:
$$\frac{1}{2}kT+\frac{1}{2}kT+\frac{1}{2}kT$$ for each degree of freedom.

In the vibrational motion, like in the solid if we are model like oscillator and it have the quadratic coordinate for the velocity (kinetic energy) and quadratic coordinate for the position (potential energy), only (since classical point of view), therefore the energy of vibration is ##\frac{1}{2}kT+\frac{1}{2}kT=kT##, but it is not the real when ##T\Longrightarrow0## (then solved using quantized energy).

Here my question, ONLY because the energy of vibration is quantized, the principle of partition energy I can't use it?

(Similar to rotational motion)

Thanks!
Both the rotational and vibrational energy of molecules are quantized. The Equipartion Principle can only be used at high enough temperatures when kT>>ΔE, the energy difference between the subsequent energy levels.
Usually, the rotational energy levels are much closer than the vibrational levels, so as the rotational levels are excited at near-room temperatures, but most of the molecule stay at their ground level of vibration. You can count with the rotational degrees of freedom, two for a two-atomic molecule, but the vibrational degrees of freedom are frozen, and come in at elevated temperatures.
If you have a system with close vibrational levels, (liquid water, for example) you should count with the vibrational degrees of freedom. Water molecules are connected with various weak hydrogen bonds, performing low-energy vibrational modes. That makes the water have high specific heat at room temperature.

Likes DrClaude

1. What is specific heat and how is it related to diatomic gases?

Specific heat is a measure of the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of a substance by a certain amount. For diatomic gases, it is the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of one mole of the gas by one degree Celsius.

2. How does the specific heat of diatomic gases differ from that of monatomic gases?

The specific heat of diatomic gases is typically higher than that of monatomic gases. This is because diatomic gases have more degrees of freedom and can store more energy in their rotational and vibrational motions.

3. Can the specific heat of diatomic gases be measured experimentally?

Yes, the specific heat of diatomic gases can be measured experimentally using techniques such as calorimetry. This involves measuring the change in temperature of a known mass of gas when a known amount of heat is added.

4. What is equipartition energy and how does it relate to the specific heat of diatomic gases?

Equipartition energy is the energy that is evenly distributed among all the degrees of freedom of a molecule. For diatomic gases, the equipartition energy is divided equally among the translational, rotational, and vibrational degrees of freedom, which contributes to the higher specific heat compared to monatomic gases.

5. How does the specific heat of diatomic gases change with temperature?

The specific heat of diatomic gases generally increases with increasing temperature. This is because at higher temperatures, more energy is available to be distributed among the different degrees of freedom, leading to a higher specific heat value.