1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the molar specific heat for each gas.

1. May 24, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A mixture of two ideal gases, the first one atomic and the second two atomic are put in normal conditions in a calorimeter with volume 1 liter hermetically closed. After it is given 10J thermal energy the mixture temperature is grown 14.2 K. Find the molar specific heat for each gas.

2. Relevant equations
    pV=nRT

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found the n=0.419 with that formula taking the pressure 1atm).What should I do then? What is molar specific heat? I think it is delta U, but how does it relate to to the 10J heat?

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2015 #2
    If you have one atomic gas then n=0.042. In classical statistic mechanics molar specific heat for gasses is:
    $$ C_v = \left(\frac{\partial{U}}{\partial{T}}\right)_v = \frac{3}{2}\frac{f}{2}R $$
    where f is the number of freedom degrees, so don't understand what is the question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted