1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat required to increase the temperature

1. Jul 27, 2017 #1

gj2

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

At high temperatures the nitrogen molecule behaves like a one-dimensional harmonic oscillator. In this situation, estimate how much heat must be added to the system in order to increase the temperature of 1 mole of nitrogen gas by 10 degrees Celsius (for constant volume and constant pressure respectively). Take into account all degrees of freedom: translational, rotational and vibrational.

2. Relevant equations
    Average energy per degree of freedom: ##kT/2##

3. The attempt at a solution
    A one-dimensional harmonic oscillator has two degrees of freedom, therefore according to the equipartition theorem the average energy of a nitrogen molecule must be ##kT##. One mole of nitrogen has ##N_A## molecules and so the total internal energy of the gas is ##U=N_A k T##. Therefore if the process is isochoric the amount of heat we need to add to the system in order to increase the temperature by 10 degrees is
    $$dQ=N_A k dT=N_A k \cdot 10\text{K} \approx 19.8 \text{cal}$$
    However the correct answer is ##70 \text{cal}## and I don't understand why.
    Also, I have no idea how to find the heat for the case of an isobaric process since this is not an ideal gas (the answer for constant pressure case is ##90 \text{cal}##).

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First of all, a nitrogen molecule is not a one dimensional harmonic oscillator. You are missing a lot of degrees of freedom by this assumption.

4. Jul 27, 2017 #3

gj2

But that's how the question was formulated. It's not my assumption.

5. Jul 27, 2017 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is an oscillator that in addition can translate and rotate. Only the vibrational spectrum is described by an actual harmonic oscillator.

6. Jul 27, 2017 #5

gj2

Oh I see. So the translational motion contributes 3 degrees of freedom whereas the rotational contributes 2. Therefore there are 7 degrees of freedom and the heat required is approximately 70cal, as expected.
    But what about the constant pressure case? How can I approach this problem?
    Thank you.
    Edit: nevermind. I think the reason why it's ##90 \text{cal}## for constant pressure case is because ##C_p-C_v=2 \frac{\text{cal}}{\text{mol}\,\text{K}}## for nitrogen (apparently it does behave approximately as an ideal gas). So it requires additional $$\left(2 \,\frac{\text{cal}}{\text{mol}\,\text{K}} \right )\cdot (10 \,\text{K})=20 \,\frac{\text{cal}}{\text{mol}}$$ heat for constant pressure case.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted