1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spectral Decomposition of a Matrix

1. Aug 2, 2011 #1

syj

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the projectors of matrix A
    (I am not sure how to write it in matrix form here so I have written out each row of the matrix)
    Row 1 : [ 2 1 1]
    Row 2: [ 2 3 2]
    Row 3: [ 1 1 2]
    2. Relevant equations

A theorem in my text book says the Lagrange interpolation polynomial hi(A) = the projectors Ei

3. The attempt at a solution

If my understanding is correct, then all I need is the Lagrange interpolation polynomials for this matrix.

Do I have to first express this matrix in terms of a vandermonde matrix to get the fixed points?

I know how to find the Lagrange interpolation polynomials if I am given the fixed points.
    I know that the second column of the vandermonde matrix gives you the fixed points.
    I am not so sure as to how to express this matrix in terms of a vandermonde matrix.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2011 #2
    It's a good thing you told me what book you were using in that other thread, because I'm not familiar with the terminology here. However, I looked your book up on Google Books, so we're good to go now!

I've heard spectral decomposition used sometimes as a synonym for diagaonlization, and that's essentially what we're doing when we look for these projectors.

Let [itex]A[/itex] be an nxn matrix. Suppose it is similar to a diagaonl matrix:

[tex] P^{-1} AP = \Lambda.[/tex]

The diagonal matrix [itex]\Lambda[/itex] contains the eigenvalues, as usual. Then

[tex] A = P\Lambda P^{-1} = P(\lambda_1 D_1 + \ldots +\lambda_nD_n)P^{-1} = \lambda_1 PD_1P^{-1} + \ldots + \lambda_n PD_nP^{-1},[/tex]

where the [itex]\lambda[/itex]'s are the eigenvalues (not necessarily unique) and the [itex]D_i[/itex] matrices are a zero matrix with a 1 in the [itex]i,i[/itex] position. Then, define

[tex] E_i = PD_iP^{-1}[/tex]

so that

[tex]A= \lambda_1 E_1 + \ldots + \lambda_nE_n.[/tex]

The right-hand side of the equation is termed the spectral decomposition of A and the E's are the projectors.

I see the Lagrange polynomials that you are referring to. They are in the proof of Theorem 7.11, right? I don't think we need to use those, we can just do this directly.

We first need to diagonalize our matrix A. You will NOT get 3 unique eigenvalues, but that's OK. A full set of unique eigenvalues is only a sufficient condition for diagonalization, not necessary. Once you diagonalize A, follow the formula I wrote above, [itex]E_i=PD_iP^{-1}[/itex], to get your ith projector. At the end, write down the decomposition using these matrices and see if you recover A.

EDIT: BTW, they are called projectors because they are idempotent, or [itex]E^2=E[/itex]. Any matrix that fixes its range is a projection/projector.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  4. Aug 5, 2011 #3

syj

Thanks so much.
    :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook