Speed of a comet around the sun.

In summary, the problem is about calculating the speed of a comet at a certain distance from the Sun. The closest approach of the comet to the Sun is 4.5e10 m and its speed is 9.6e4 m/s. The farthest distance from the Sun is not specified, but it is known to be beyond the orbit of Pluto. To find the comet's speed at a distance of 6e12 m, potential energy can be used, similar to finding the speed of a ball thrown in the air at a certain distance from the ground. Mass is not needed in the calculation as it is a common factor and can be disregarded.
Overseer

Homework Statement

A comet is in an elliptical orbit around the Sun. Its closest approach to the Sun is a distance of 4.5e10 m (inside the orbit of Mercury), at which point its speed is 9.6e4 m/s. Its farthest distance from the Sun is far beyond the orbit of Pluto. What is its speed when it is 6e12 m from the Sun? (This is the approximate distance of Pluto from the Sun.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start with this. All I'm told is its speed at the "bottom" of its orbit, and then I'm told to calculate its speed at the "top" of it orbit. I am not given the mass of the comet so I can't find it's Potential or Kinetic Energy which is what this section is over. To my knowledge there is no direct relationship between distance in an orbit and a bodies speed. Perhaps I'm overlooking something brutally obvious.

Physics news on Phys.org
you need to use potential energy. because you know its speed at a certain distance, mass becomes a common factor and you no longer need it. So you have the speed at a certain distance, and you need to find its speed at a further distance.

analogy:

a ball of mass m is thrown into the air and has an instantaneous speed right before it hits the ground of 35 metres per second. What is its speed when it is a distance of 15 metres from the ground.

You can use energy to find this answer, and it is exactly the same concept. good luck

What factors affect the speed of a comet around the sun?

The speed of a comet around the sun is primarily affected by its distance from the sun and the mass of the sun. The closer a comet gets to the sun, the faster it will travel due to the increased gravitational pull. Additionally, the mass of the sun also plays a role in determining the comet's speed. The greater the mass of the sun, the stronger its gravitational pull will be on the comet, causing it to speed up.

How is the speed of a comet around the sun calculated?

The speed of a comet around the sun can be calculated using Kepler's Third Law, which states that the square of a planet's orbital period is proportional to the cube of its average distance from the sun. This means that by knowing the distance of a comet from the sun and its orbital period, we can calculate its speed using the formula: v = 2πr/T, where v is the speed, r is the distance, and T is the orbital period.

What is the average speed of a comet around the sun?

The average speed of a comet around the sun can vary greatly depending on its distance from the sun. Comets that have highly elliptical orbits can reach speeds of up to 150,000 miles per hour when they are closest to the sun. However, the average speed of most comets is around 40,000 miles per hour.

Can the speed of a comet change?

Yes, the speed of a comet can change due to various factors such as gravitational interactions with other objects, outgassing from the comet's surface, and changes in its orbit. The closer a comet gets to the sun, the faster it will travel, and as it moves away from the sun, its speed will decrease.

What is the fastest speed a comet can reach around the sun?

The fastest speed a comet can reach around the sun is determined by its distance from the sun and the mass of the sun. Comets with highly elliptical orbits can reach speeds of up to 150,000 miles per hour when they are closest to the sun. However, the fastest speed ever recorded for a comet was 255,000 miles per hour by the Parker Solar Probe as it passed by the sun in 2018.