Speed of a rocket between 2 asteroids

In summary: From there, you can work out the speed at which the Eagle would travel if it passed between the asteroids.
irrek
As part of a daring rescue attempt, the Millennium Eagle passes between a pair of twin asteroids, as shown . If the mass of the spaceship is 2.50 *10^7 kg and the mass of each asteroid is 4.49×10^11 kg

A picture is shown here:
http://s831.photobucket.com/albums/zz233/iirreek/?action=view&current=Walker4ech12Pr050.jpg

If the Millennium Eagle is at rest at point A, what is its speed at point B? Treat the spaceship and the asteroids as if they were point objects.

I've looked through my textbook and I have no idea where to start, I've gone through a couple of the velocity equations and those aren't doing anything for me.
Help, I'm so confused!

Physics news on Phys.org
irrek said:
As part of a daring rescue attempt, the Millennium Eagle passes between a pair of twin asteroids, as shown . If the mass of the spaceship is 2.50 *10^7 kg and the mass of each asteroid is 4.49×10^11 kg

A picture is shown here:
http://s831.photobucket.com/albums/zz233/iirreek/?action=view&current=Walker4ech12Pr050.jpg

If the Millennium Eagle is at rest at point A, what is its speed at point B? Treat the spaceship and the asteroids as if they were point objects.

I've looked through my textbook and I have no idea where to start, I've gone through a couple of the velocity equations and those aren't doing anything for me.
Help, I'm so confused!

Hello there iirreeek!

First i have to suggest you to draw a force diagram, why?.It is because the gravitational force between astoreids and the ship is the thing that is going to put millenium falcon* oops eagle ;) into motion, obviosly it is going to be a motion with acceleration since there is a net force acting on the ship.If you draw a free body diagram it will be much more clear to you, feel free to ask further if you are still stuck

Cryphonus.

Hint: What's conserved in this situation?

I have no clue. I've been doing this homework set for a couple hours and my brain is just dead

There seems to be some data missing from the question.

Unless the Eagle simply falls toward the asteroids by gravity...

Is that the idea?

DaveC426913 said:
There seems to be some data missing from the question.

Unless the Eagle simply falls toward the asteroids by gravity...

Is that the idea?
That's what I presume. (But note the rocket jets that appear in the diagram. :rolleyes:)

Is the problem posted exactly, word for word, as it was given?

I think so

Look up how to compute and use gravitational potential energy between masses.

1. What factors affect the speed of a rocket between two asteroids?

The speed of a rocket between two asteroids is affected by several factors, including the mass and size of the asteroids, the distance between them, and the force of gravity exerted by the asteroids.

2. How is the speed of a rocket between two asteroids calculated?

The speed of a rocket between two asteroids is calculated using the formula v = √(G(M1+M2)/r), where v is the velocity of the rocket, G is the universal gravitational constant, M1 and M2 are the masses of the two asteroids, and r is the distance between them.

3. Can the speed of a rocket between two asteroids exceed the speed of light?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which anything can travel in the universe. Therefore, the speed of a rocket between two asteroids cannot exceed the speed of light.

4. How does the speed of a rocket between two asteroids impact its trajectory?

The speed of a rocket between two asteroids directly affects its trajectory, as a higher speed will result in a more curved trajectory due to the increased gravitational pull of the asteroids. This can also impact the amount of fuel needed for the rocket to reach its destination.

5. Can the speed of a rocket between two asteroids be altered during its journey?

Yes, the speed of a rocket between two asteroids can be altered during its journey by using thrusters to change its velocity. However, this may require a significant amount of fuel and careful calculations to ensure the rocket reaches its desired destination.