1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of a rocket between 2 asteroids

1. Nov 19, 2009 #1
    As part of a daring rescue attempt, the Millennium Eagle passes between a pair of twin asteroids, as shown . If the mass of the spaceship is 2.50 *10^7 kg and the mass of each asteroid is 4.49×10^11 kg

A picture is shown here:
    http://s831.photobucket.com/albums/zz233/iirreek/?action=view&current=Walker4ech12Pr050.jpg

If the Millennium Eagle is at rest at point A, what is its speed at point B? Treat the spaceship and the asteroids as if they were point objects.

I've looked through my textbook and I have no idea where to start, I've gone through a couple of the velocity equations and those aren't doing anything for me.
    Help, I'm so confused!!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2009 #2
    Hello there iirreeek!!

First i have to suggest you to draw a force diagram, why?.It is because the gravitational force between astoreids and the ship is the thing that is going to put millenium falcon* oops eagle ;) into motion, obviosly it is going to be a motion with acceleration since there is a net force acting on the ship.If you draw a free body diagram it will be much more clear to you, feel free to ask further if you are still stuck

Cryphonus.

4. Nov 19, 2009 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Hint: What's conserved in this situation?

5. Nov 19, 2009 #4
    I have no clue. I've been doing this homework set for a couple hours and my brain is just dead

6. Nov 19, 2009 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

There seems to be some data missing from the question.

Unless the Eagle simply falls toward the asteroids by gravity...

Is that the idea?

7. Nov 19, 2009 #6

Doc Al

That's what I presume. (But note the rocket jets that appear in the diagram. :rolleyes:)

Is the problem posted exactly, word for word, as it was given?

8. Nov 19, 2009 #7
    I think so

9. Nov 19, 2009 #8

Doc Al

Look up how to compute and use gravitational potential energy between masses.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook