Discover the Minimum Speed Needed for a Trip to the Moon Without Rockets

• Thread starter hime
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moon
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a hypothetical trip to the moon without a traditional spaceship. The minimum speed needed to reach the moon is vmin = 11068 m/s. The conversation explores different equations and concepts to determine the velocity at the surface of the moon, eventually concluding that the final velocity is 2.28 km/s using conservation of energy.
hime
Solved:Trip to the moon

Homework Statement

You plan to take a trip to the moon. Since you do not have a traditional spaceship with rockets, you will need to leave the Earth with enough speed to make it to the moon. Some information that will help during this problem:
mearth = 5.9742 x 10^24 kg
rearth = 6.3781 x 10^6 m
mmoon = 7.36 x 10^22 kg
rmoon = 1.7374 x 10^6 m
dearth to moon = 3.844 x 10^8 m (center to center)
G = 6.67428 x 10^-11 N-m2/kg2
The minimum speed needed to reach the moon is vmin = 11068 m/s. If you leave the surface of the Earth at this speed, how fast will you be moving at the surface of the moon?

Homework Equations

Fgrav=G*m1*m2/r^2
PE earth=PE moon + KE moon ??
PE total = -GMe*m/ D-Re - GMm*m/D-Rm where D is the distance between centers of Earth and moon, m is the mass of the person, Mm is the mass of the moon, and Me is the mass of the earth

The Attempt at a Solution

The velocity cannot be zero at the surface of the moon. Although there is a point along the way that your speed approaches zero, as the spaceship falls to the moon it speeds up.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This sounds like a conservation of energy problem and you are on the right track, but what happened to KE_earth? Remember, they said he leaves Earth at a velocity v_min = 11068 m/s.

you mean KE earth+PE earth=PE moon + KE moon ??

I plugged in numbers but still got 11068 m/s when i solved for Vmoon which is the vmin they gave us in the problem...that just does not make sense.

If I want to use the kinematics equation: V^2=Vi^2=2a(Xf-Xi), I don't know the height that the object will be above the moon before it falls down to the surface.

Is there a way to do this problem using center of mass concept?

You cannot use any of your kinematics equations since those only apply to constant acceleration. But the gravitational acceleration changes as the distance changes.

You must use conservation of energy. Please show all of your work so I can see where you made your mistake.

KE earth+PE earth=PE moon + KE moon

.5*m*ve^2 + m*G*he = m*G*hm + 0.5*m*vm^2

i took he and hm as the radius of the Earth and moon respectively.

m cancels on both sides so the equation becomes and solving for vm:
.5*ve^2 + G*he = G*hm + 0.5*vm^2
.5*11068^2+6.67428e-11*6.3781e6 = .5*vm^2 + 6.67428e-11*1.7374e6

Vm = 11068 m/s

g is not the same on both celestial bodies. You also should not be using PE = mgh. That is an approximation used for the surface of the Earth where 'g' is 9.8 m/s^2. You should be using:

[tex]PE = -\frac{GMm}{r}[/tex]

where M = mass of planet, m = mass of object, and r = radial distance of object from center of planet.

ok..i substituted the PE that you stated and got the following equation:

KE earth+PE earth=PE moon + KE moon

.5*m*ve^2 +G*Me*m/re = 0.5*m*vm^2+G*Mm*m/rm

Plugging all values I got vm=1.11818e9 m/s which is wrong answer why?

I found the old thread from physics forums and it discusses the same problem as me

https://www.physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-206632.html

Summarizing the above link:

Let's say there is a point P between Earth and the Moon where the velocity will reach 0m/s.
The escape velocity of the Earth is just the velocity needed for the object to reach point P.
From Point P, the force of the moon's gravity will take over the object and pull it towards its surface. To calculate the Vfinal, we can use conservation of energy from Point P to moon's surface.

The vfinal = 2.28km/sec using conservation of energy.

Thanks nickjer for helping me..:)

do you go to u of i? physics 211? this is my homework problem. lol.

1. What is the minimum speed needed for a trip to the moon without rockets?

The minimum speed needed for a trip to the moon without rockets is approximately 25,000 miles per hour. This speed is necessary to overcome the Earth's gravitational pull and reach the moon's orbit.

2. How is it possible to travel to the moon without using rockets?

While rockets are traditionally used to launch spacecraft into space, there are other methods that can be used for a trip to the moon. One possibility is utilizing a slingshot effect, where a spacecraft uses the gravitational pull of a planet or moon to gain speed and propel itself towards its destination.

3. Is it safe to travel to the moon without rockets?

Traveling to the moon without rockets is a complex and challenging feat, but it can be done safely with the right technology and precautions in place. However, there are still potential risks involved, as with any space travel. It is important for scientists and engineers to carefully plan and test these journeys to ensure the safety of the astronauts.

4. How long would it take to reach the moon without using rockets?

The time it takes to reach the moon without rockets depends on several factors such as the speed of the spacecraft, the distance from Earth to the moon, and the route taken. On average, it would take around 3 days to reach the moon using a slingshot effect, but this can vary depending on the specific mission.

5. Are there any other alternative methods for traveling to the moon?

Aside from using a slingshot effect, there are other potential methods for traveling to the moon without rockets. Some scientists have proposed using a space elevator, which would involve a cable extending from Earth's surface into space, allowing for a more gradual and energy-efficient ascent into orbit. However, this technology is still in the theoretical stages and has not yet been tested.