Time Interval between Rocket Explosions for Spaceship Tripulant

In summary, two students launch rockets 100m apart and they explode at the same time for an observer midway between them. A spaceship flies over the observer's head at 0.7c and has a length of 15m as seen by the observer. It takes the ship 3.4*10^-7 seconds to complete the 100m between the two students, and the explosions are not simultaneous for a tripulant on the spaceship. The time interval between the first and second explosion, as seen by the tripulant, cannot be calculated without more information.
Jalo

Homework Statement

Two students on the ground, separated 100m from each other, launch one rocket each vertically. The rocket explode at the same time for an observer, on the ground, that's midway between the rocket explosion. At the exact time the observer sees the rockets exploding a spaceship flies over his head, horizontally, at a speed of 0.7c. The ship length as seen by the observer is 15m.

(c)How much time goes by, to a tripulant of the spaceship, for the ship to complete the 100m between the two students?
(d)For a tripulant of the spaceship is the explosion of the rockets simultaneous? What's the time interval? (time between the first rocket explosion and the second, as seen by the tripulant)

Homework Equations

After solving the first two questions I've reached this data:
Actual distance between the two students = 71.4m
Spaceship length as measured by the tripulant = 21m

As to question (c) I used the equation t=d/v to solve it.

The Attempt at a Solution

(c) I think I've done her correctly. I've simply divided the length between the two students as seen by a tripulant in a ship by her speed:
t=71.4/0.7c=3.4*10^-7

(d) I know the explosions are not simultaneous, however I have no idea how I'm supposed to measure the time interval between the two explosions... If anyone could give me some hint, or some equation that could help me i'd be grateful. I've readen the whole relativity chapter of Serway's Physics for Scientists looking for something to help me without any luck.

Thanks, and a happy new year to everyone.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jalo said:

Homework Statement

Two students on the ground, separated 100m from each other, launch one rocket each vertically. The rocket explode at the same time for an observer, on the ground, that's midway between the rocket explosion. At the exact time the observer sees the rockets exploding a spaceship flies over his head, horizontally, at a speed of 0.7c. The ship length as seen by the observer is 15m.

(c)How much time goes by, to a tripulant of the spaceship, for the ship to complete the 100m between the two students?
(d)For a tripulant of the spaceship is the explosion of the rockets simultaneous? What's the time interval? (time between the first rocket explosion and the second, as seen by the tripulant)

Homework Equations

After solving the first two questions I've reached this data:
Actual size of the ship = 71.4m
Spaceship length as measured by the tripulant = 21m

As to question (c) I used the equation t=d/v to solve it.

The Attempt at a Solution

(c) I think I've done her correctly. I've simply divided the length between the two students as seen by a tripulant in a ship by her speed:
t=71.4/0.7c=3.4*10^-7

(d) I know the explosions are not simultaneous, however I have no idea how I'm supposed to measure the time interval between the two explosions... If anyone could give me some hint, or some equation that could help me i'd be grateful. I've read the whole relativity chapter of Serway's Physics for Scientists looking for something to help me without any luck.

Thanks, and a happy new year to everyone.
You wrote: "Actual size of the ship = 71.4m" This must be a typo. The "proper" length of the ship is the 21 meters, as seen by tripulant. It appears that the tripulant will see the two students as being about 71.4 meters apart. The two rocket explosions will be separated up the same amount, as seen by the crew-member.

SammyS said:
You wrote: "Actual size of the ship = 71.4m" This must be a typo. The "proper" length of the ship is the 21 meters, as seen by tripulant. It appears that the tripulant will see the two students as being about 71.4 meters apart. The two rocket explosions will be separated up the same amount, as seen by the crew-member.

Yes, it was a typo, thanks for bringing it to my attention :)

1. What is an event simultaneity exercise?

An event simultaneity exercise is a scientific activity that involves measuring and comparing the timing of two or more events that occur simultaneously. This exercise is used to study the relationship between cause and effect, and to determine whether events are truly happening at the same time or if there is a delay between them.

2. How is an event simultaneity exercise conducted?

During an event simultaneity exercise, scientists use precise instruments, such as high-speed cameras or sensors, to measure the exact timing of different events. They then compare the data to determine if the events are occurring simultaneously or if there is a delay between them.

3. What is the purpose of conducting an event simultaneity exercise?

The main purpose of an event simultaneity exercise is to gain a better understanding of the relationship between cause and effect, and to determine the accuracy of our perception of simultaneous events. This exercise can also help scientists make more accurate predictions and calculations in their research.

4. What types of events can be studied using an event simultaneity exercise?

An event simultaneity exercise can be used to study any events that occur simultaneously, such as the release of two objects, the occurrence of two chemical reactions, or the activation of two neurons in the brain. This exercise can also be applied to events that are thought to be simultaneous, but may actually have a delay between them, such as the firing of neurons in different parts of the brain.

5. What are some potential limitations of an event simultaneity exercise?

One limitation of an event simultaneity exercise is that it relies on the accuracy of the instruments used to measure the timing of events. If the instruments are not precise enough, the results may be inaccurate. Additionally, this exercise may not be applicable to all types of events, as some events may be too complex or difficult to measure accurately.